Just picked up an 81

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM
fmj

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I would definitely find a TH400 from a car or 2wd truck, not a 4x4 truck. The shifters have little to do with keeping the car in any one gear. That's done internally by the transmission detent. There's no strain to keep it in any certain gear.
If you're planning on building big HP, I'd go with a full competition shift kit with manual shift. The ratchet shifters have two choices to the way they work. You can leave the handle in the forward position and that allows you to up and down shift. In the ratchet mode (all the way back) it upshifts only with each push on the shifter handle.
I put a B&M shifter in my '71 recently and I had to get used to it at first, but now that I am comfortable with it I really like it. Don't even have to think about missing a gear when upshifting in the ratchet mode.
That's kind of what I was thinking they did, thanks for the info. So it sounds like just getting a th400 and throwing some money at it is the way to go? Like I say, I'd like it to hold up to 750 or 800 to be safe. Someday I might want to put different pulleys on the blower and crank up the hp a little. I found a build online that is exactly what I'm looking for here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ild/index.html

I went over the car today more thoroughly and am very pleased. All the chrome trim is good shape and I went over it with a DA checking some areas to make sure it really has no rust. I also found all the stuff I would need to convert it to a Z in the parts the guy gave me. It also has a really nice A/C set up on it and I'm really thinking about hooking it back up. I love some good A/C in the summer. Door panels and headliner need to be replaced, but the seats are in decent shape, just the wrong color. All the other interior parts I pretty much have 2 of, the stock stuff is beige and then the guy gave me a blue set. I still don't know how I'm going to get at the underside but I guess I'll have the keep looking around for some good ideas.

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up an 81-picture-032.jpg   Just picked up an 81-picture-024.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just did a 4x4 4L65E to 2wd and all I had to do was change the output shaft and the tail, was no biggy. I think probably the TH400 will be the same.

The TH400 is the best choice for those 600HP target. And the Ratchet Shifter works amazing. On the 454 swap, I think the oem springs will need to be change, and for the Subframe connectors is a must, cause those BB torque twist even oem chassis.

On trans is a lot of suffering, so I advice u make once, the right way.....been there done that with a lot of trans. I have a friend that cured my misery on my 800HP + awhp in a 4x4 truck. He not only put together trans, he build billet parts for them. If u need any more info, PM.

Other than that u'll have a great Car.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's not hard to get that car up high enough to clean it just like you did your 4x4. Just get out the tall jack stands and the floor jack and put it in the air. Of course it's going to be a lot of work doing it all on your back with a wire wheel and lots of elbow grease, but it can be done. Heck, I did mine in the driveway! I'd kill to have a nice big shop like your's to do this stuff in, but we work with what we have. I also did a lot of my repainting with a brush and roller, as I didn't want to spray in the driveway.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
fmj

Having a big shop to work in all winter is a huge perk of working construction in MN. One of the reasons I'm building a car and probably selling the truck is because I can take a car out for a cruise and unwind after a long day of work. I have no time in the summer to go offroad, and even if I had time i'd rather spend it resting in the A/C. A lot of people think they would love this job for the seasonal aspect, but they aren't there on the 16 hour days waist deep in sewage.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nice Truck btw, too bad ur selling it.....

Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Lots of jobs look good from the outside, but when you're doing them every job has it's drawbacks. We do them to pay the rent, but it's not often that anyone finds that dream job where they love everything about it.
My dream job is retirement, coming this fall!