Introduction and some questions (74 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Default Introduction and some questions (74 Camaro)

Hi folks.
Before I start, truth in advertising requires I disclose that I own a 67 Mustang. I'm not brand loyal, just an old muscle car fanatic. My father-in-law is the original owner of a 71 Charger with a 440 6-pack, and my wife just completed the family by buying a 1974 Camaro. This last car is, of course, why Im here.

The car currently has a tired out 250ci and auto transmission, and I want to upgrade the drivetrain for her while she is deployed to the middle east. My first question is regarding a 6 to 8 swap. For mustangs, depending on the year, there are a multitude of other systems such as steering gear, brakes, suspension that must be upgraded for safety as they were lighter duty in 6 cylinder cars. Does the same hold true for a 74 i6 Camaro? Are steering and braking systems standard across engine choices? Does anyone have a link to a good 6 to 8 conversion write-up?

The next question will be engine choice. She doesn't need anything crazy, but I would like to get around 300hp or so for her. We were originally planning on a 350 build, but she has developed some considerable interest in the corvette 327 engine. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each of these engines with a stated goal of about 300hp. We haven't quite seta budget for the project yet, but our intial estimate would be $5-7k, with the intent to keep it as low as possible of course.

As far as transmission goes, she wants to keep it auto, which makes the swap easier. What auto transmission would be the best choice behind a 300hp 327 or 350 engine?

Lastly, are there any essential books I should be looking for to help educate me on Chevy Performance? Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me. I look forward to learning a lot here.

-Andrew

Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Introduction and some questions (74 Camaro)

First off I would like to commend you for doing this for your wife while she is serving our country and express my gratitude to her for serving.

Converting from 6 to 8 is easy. Position of mounts and such are standard on the F body whether you have V8 or 6. You didn't state what your abilities are, so I'll assume you want a turn key setup. The 327 is a good engine but finding one ready to drop in may be an issue. If you can, buy a rebuildable engine and do the work your self to save money. In the long run a 350 might be less exspensive to obtain and or build. Transmission choice is easy, go with an overdrive trans(700R4). There are plenty of suppliers, it can be built to sustain higher horsepower and it is an easy swap. Before dropping in a V8 you will want to change the front coil springs to a stiffer pair and if the car did not have a sway bar install that too. The radiator is probably going to be too small for the V8, upgrade to a thicker core.

Steering is the same for both engine configurations. The brake on your car should already be front disc, no needed upgrade there either.

Hope this helps and I may have missed something but there is plenty of help here.
I would estimate between 5 and 6k depending on you resources/abilities.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the response JR.

To answer the question about my experience level, Im a simple DIYer. While I may farm some things out, I try to do as much as I can on my own aftera lot of research and some practice. I'm currently doing a full restoration of my 67 Mustang, minus probably the paint. I see your point about the 327. I didn't see any short/long blocks at Jegs or Summit. Although there are a few long blocks available from ebay rebuilders. I don't like buying sight-unseen though unless its a large and reputable outfit. I may try and steer her towards the 350s just for simplicity.
I'm not opposed to learning to rebuild the engine myself, but I would have to factor in the cost of the tools to perform all those fine tolerance measurements for the bottom end. I can certainly assemble the top end though. Front springs make perfect sense though and are within my skill level to do. I have to replace the leaf springs anyways.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 700R4. I'll start pricing those out. Btw, my wife thanks you for your kind sentiments

-Andrew

Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcometo the Chevy family. Im working on my (soon to be wifes) 68 GTO convertable, doing the same thing as you are planning to do with your wifes 74. I agree with JRs72RS post. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, suspension, fuel & brake lines, disc brake conversion, wiring harness...and a 6cyl 3 speed to a 350automatic. (phoenix engine rebuilders, ebay) Ive got well over 10 in it now, but my application is different than yours.There are many sources for parts besides summit or jegs, and alot of good advice here. Get ready for some headaches though... It should be a fairly simple change, but there are so many "little" things that will eat upyour budget.If you want to find a short block thats from a "reliable" source try www.morethanjustpower.com you should be able to find something there. Good luck!