Intake problems !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Intake problems !!!

I have a very frustrating problem, my edelbrock rpm air gap wont line up with my patriot freedom series heads. The one side of the intake will bolt up but the other is out enough that the bolts wont start with the gaskets. With out the gaskets its really hard to get them in and i dont want to cross thread anything. What should i do? Would it be a bad idea to reshape the bolt holes so the bolts will line up? Or am i going to have to rip apart and send my heads back to get another set?

Thanks Kyle

Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyles_81camaro
I have a very frustrating problem, my edelbrock rpm air gap wont line up with my patriot freedom series heads. The one side of the intake will bolt up but the other is out enough that the bolts wont start with the gaskets. With out the gaskets its really hard to get them in and i dont want to cross thread anything. What should i do? Would it be a bad idea to reshape the bolt holes so the bolts will line up? Or am i going to have to rip apart and send my heads back to get another set?

Thanks Kyle
Was your block decked at all? That would pull your heads down on the angle and change how things align. I have no idea what the fix is though, I have heard of people elongating the holes to work in Vortec heads, so I wouldn't think that would be a bad idea. But don't take my word for it. Pics would probably help here for sure.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear member

It is fine to reshape the holes. Just use a large enough washer. I have used TPI with the 4 center holes re-drilled and never had a problem. I know lots of people who have done the same thing.

On my trickflow heads and airgap intake I had a heck of a time getting the center blots to work. I put in one corner bolt. Then two of the center bolts on the other side. I then got a small pry bar and gently but firmly pulled the intake to the other side so I could get the other two center bolts in. I was very careful threading them afraid the entire time that I would cross thread them. Next time it is off I will drill the holes a little.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a part number you can post so we can see what heads you purchased? If you've got Vortec style heads you'll need a different intake, so before you start drilling and grinding we really need to know what you're starting with.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The part # is 2181 and the block has never been machined. I have never had this problem nor have i ever heard of someone having this problem.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kyles_81camaro
The part # is 2181 and the block has never been machined. I have never had this problem nor have i ever heard of someone having this problem.
Well the number indicates those are Gen 1 heads, so they are correct for early small block intakes. So my next question is what intake are you trying to put on those heads? What type of heads did you have previously? Were they by chance Votecs, and you're trying to put a Vortec intake on early style heads?
If your Edelbrock is a 7516, 75161, 75163, 75164, then those are all Vortec intakes, and wont work on the early heads.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 03-20-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The edelbrock air gap is a 7501 and ive never put it on any heads its brand new. Does is matter that the heads are 23 degree heads? Maybe thats why there not bolting up. ive heard of guys having problems with some edelbrocks not lining up properly. Maybe i might have to get the intake milled to fit?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Wow never heard of ant issues w/ eddy intakes. They are the old stand by for sure. The holes are cast in to the intake and not drilled. I've seen their casting operation on TV and being a die caster I can say the chances of the cores shifting are real low. Most of its automated.

All I can think of either your not setting it on correctly or your heads have the center holes that are at a slightly different angle. To check that simply thread all six bolts in on one heads If they're not all in line that's your issue.

Can you see if the gasket by itself lines up with all the holes? Maybe even line up the old intake to see if the spacing is the same. The last thing I can think of is operator error. I'm guilty of this, the gasket isn't lined up under the intake and the bolt won't start because there is gasket material over the hole.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Guys I have the exact same intake on 23 degree heads.
Were are talking a 16th of an inch that they are off.
You can force it or drill it a little.

It isn't a big deal and wont hurt anything.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i can bolt on one side of the intake but the other side is out enought that i can get a bolt started..... ill take some pics tomorrow and see what you guys think. im thinking the intake angle on the head is different then the angle of the intake.

Last edited by kyles_81camaro; 03-20-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake problems !!!