Info on disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Info on disc brake conversion

Was thinking about getting rid of the rear drum brakes and convert to disc has anyone done this and any suggestions? And what did it cost?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Info on disc brake conversion

I just did the conversion on my 70. Think it was about 800 for the kit. Wasnt an easy job....and there some issues already..

Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

some of the late 70s camaros and several of the trans-ams had rear disc rear ends, I have often wondered how hard it would be just to go to the parts store and buy the right parts, not in a it.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Might be able to get the rear end off a Caddy or some other car that had stock disc brakes and go that route?

got3ofem - what issues are you having with your conversion?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Well..the emerg brake cable was too short, and the axles have to be pulled to bolt on the brackets, the driver side makes a soundlike its not letting go completelywhen they get hot, after driving for about 10 minutes. Also, even though I installed the proportioning valve next to the master cylinder, regardless of how I turn it (more or less pressure) it doesnt seem to change the stopping ability. Ive bled them twice now, no air in the lines. My thinking is that the stock master cylinder is not up to the task of braking rear discs. Will probably buy a new master cyl from SSBC designed for rear discs, since Im in this deep anyway.They do look very cool, though.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Where did you get your conversion kit if you don't mind me asking? I would like to have rear disc brakes someday but unsure of all the kits that are on the market.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

this is the set I bought. http://www.jegs.com/i/Stainless%20St.../A125/10002/-1

or you can look here http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

The price is the same either place, it looks like it actually went down since I bought mine. If you can afford it, Id strongly suggest you think about a bigger master cylinder from them also.

I did afront conversion on my 68 Lemans convertable, same company, which included a new (at least 30% bigger than stock) master cylinder and that car stops REALLY well. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 AM

thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

Got3ofThem> I've been reading up on changing mine and I know that SSB and a couple of other say you have to change the master cylinder when you convert. The larger reservoir for the drums will give you problems when you move to discs.

There's a couple of good articles about how to go about getting them off Trans Ams/Camaros and what are interchangeable and what isn't in the May 2008 Carcraft issue and Camaro Performers June 2008 issue. The Camaro Performers one is about kits and the Carcraft one is about how you can switch from any C-clip style 10 or 12 bolt axle on any GM car. They give you what to look for and the pros and cons of kits vs. salvage.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats great information. Thanks, Ill see if I can find those issues and look that info up.

Quick Reply: Info on disc brake conversion