I6 to V8 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Default I6 to V8 Swap

I know, apparently this gets asked constantly, but for the life of me, all I could find were post about 4th gen where the computers and what-not were involved. I was just wondering if anyone would direct to a thread with all the specifics or give me a quick rundown of the amount of work I'm looking at and possibly a base cost amount.
The specs are kinda sad really, it's a 1975 Camaro inline 6 that I recently inherited from my uncle. It's been sitting in his garage for the last 25 years, and I decided I wanted to try to build it up. I already found a few 383's I was thinking of dropping into it, I was just wondering about other factors, do I need to change any of the suspension? Is the a difference between trying to fit a short or long block? What about drivetrain mods? All these have me simply scratching my head and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could try to tell me if it would be worth while of if I should just get rid of it...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

definitly wanna upgrade the suspension because it wasn't designed to handle the power and Spirited driving

mines a 77 L6 and i find the suspension kinda soft and mushy...

i have no intention of Changing the motor currently.. as i don't have the cash to do so

the transmission might also be built internally lighter duty( less clutches, mushy shifting valve body, and stuff like that...)( probably the th-350)

i think ( not 100% sure) the motor mounts on the Frame are the same as far as i saw the upper mounts are completely Diferent from hat ive seen..

if you can at least get new oem replacement springs and stuff from the V8 Camaro as they were intended to handle better and such...

i don't know anything about stuffing a big block in.. but that would absolutely require everything gone through Drive train and suspension wise...

Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Pretty straight forward swap,mostly motormounts.
Suspension upgrades are always good,the radiator will need to be upgraded etc but it's an older Chevy so parts are cheap and easy to get and interchange with ease.
Just FYI I think when you said short or long block maybe you meant small or big block.
A short block is a rebuilt engine black without heads a long block has the rebuilt heads included and installed on it.
A big block swap is pretty much the same as a small block swap but you definitely want to beef up the whole car for the extra power,better rear end,trans,radiator etc etc etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the input, especially the definition between short and long block, haha. I'm looking at dropping a 383 into it. The cars been sitting for so long pretty much everything is going to need some fixing up. As far as the motor mounts, is that a pretty simple process? Do they need to be relocated on the frame or is it just a bolt in process? Also, with a V8 and a new transmission, is there any chance I'm going to need a new drive shaft? My primary concern for the time being is just getting it running. Suspension and drivetrain are in the future. I have about $8,000 dollars at my dispense for this project for the time being...

Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pretty simple swap as engine swaps go. You will need the motor side of the motor mounts, but frame mounts should work. Tranny should be changed if it's a TH250, but if it's a 350 it will work as is. Check the flywheel though, as I believe the I6 uses a 153 tooth flywheel, and the V8 uses a 168. (I think) If it's a 168, then even the flywheel will work.
Not sure aboput the throttle linkage, but I6 might be a true linkage, not cable like the V8, as it pulls up-down, not forward-back. Might need a universal cable kit to install. I just put one on my car to replace the factory cable, and they're way better anyway.
Rearend should be the same for I6 or V8 that year, but it is probably an open differential, so if you go with tons of power you might want a posi soon. The springs front and rear wont be a issue, as the I6 is nearly as heavy as a V8 and the front springs may be fine. I'd wait until it's in and see how the stance is. Rear springs may be single leaf, and you should go with some traction bars to keep wheel hop and spring wrap to a minimum.