Hood Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

maybe your air fiter is messing with it? when i got a new air filter i had to cut the bolt down because it was making it bow in the middle. and you can feel it wen you close the hood.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Ummm.... Don't be hasty. Just because your not interested in your sisters pics doesn't mean...........j/k

I wonder if you have the room at your hood to header gap to adjust the hood latch and post forward, drawing the hood out and maybe removing the bow.
haha, if it gets out on this site there's chances i may come across those pictures and the damage would be done. your SOL my friend.

i've toyed with the hood moving it forward and back and where i have it sits just perfectly. however i've toyed with moving it left and right and i've yet to hit the sweet spot. whenever it a lines up nicely on one side it's way off on the other, and there seems to be no in between. I attributed that to the bow which i decided needed fixing first.

Rizzo, good thought, however it was my short coming by not stating that this hood has a 3-6inch hood scope. To add to that, i don't have a filter on the engine yet. Plan on changing out the carb

Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well that helps a lot! If the bow is in the middle on each side you might try taking the rubber bumpers off the sides that are on the fenders. They just slide into a slot and can be temporarily removed to see if they are causing the issues. Mine even caused my steel hood to bow up on the sides, so I removed them and thinned them out on my belt sander until they just touched the hood on each side.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Well that helps a lot! If the bow is in the middle on each side you might try taking the rubber bumpers off the sides that are on the fenders. They just slide into a slot and can be temporarily removed to see if they are causing the issues. Mine even caused my steel hood to bow up on the sides, so I removed them and thinned them out on my belt sander until they just touched the hood on each side.

No, that was my first thought but he says in the third post:
It's not hitting the rubber "bumpers" on the sides either...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I got my camera back! sorry for posting my question without the aid of a photo. Thanks for all ya'll suggestions and help. I'm still working on it. Maybe these pictures will help us figure this out.

also, a side note, you see it's only bowing real bad on the passengers side. When i adjust it, it just favors one side, there doesn't seem to be a happy middle, either the left or right side bows real bad and the other just so so.

(passengers side)

Name:  DSC01133.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  48.9 KB
(front...lines up nicely IMO)

Name:  DSC01134.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  67.6 KB
(drivers side)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Is it even bolted to the hinges? WTH? Can you raise it up and give us a pic of what's going on under there? For the back to be up that high on the passenger side the hinge can't be compressing/folding into it's proper closed position.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The springs were mentioned earlier, but you didn't say if you did anything with them. The factory heavy duty springs are designed to support a heavy steel hood and HAVE to be removed when putting on a fiberglass hood. The strong springs could be trying to lift the hood where it sits. The extra tension is also bad for the glass hood as it will stress it too much when closing and you'll start to get surface cracks, taking the paint with it. Remove the springs, and then try to make adjustments. Hardware stores sell lightweight springs that will work well with the glass hood, it doesn't need much tension to hold the hood up.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-27-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Pablo and Camaro 69, after some more fiddling around with it, i'm on board with ya'll to say it is the springs. i'll change them out and let ya'll know.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Let me know if you need low tension springs. I have a set that came with my hood but don't hold it up. You can have them for shipping cost.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow! That's really pulling hard on the hood, and looks seriously like it will break it if it continues without addressing the springs. I'd remove tham to test it, and also make sure the spring pivot points are lubed with some spray lube too! I've seen hinges that felt OK when closing, but actually bent a steel hood because they needed lube in the pivot points.

Quick Reply: Hood Swap