Headers question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Headers question!

Question is ima newbie to this whole restoration and mechanical deals so how hard is it to install headers? Do I have to lift the engine out? Do I have to remove quarter panels? And lastly what headers do u guys recommend that are in mid range zone something that's not the cheapest and that'll give some good hp but won't be too expensive either as I'm a poor college kid! Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I have swore off Long tube headers... fought them for years... I will cast my vote for shortie headers... Easier to install, better for low to midrange power, and makes for a lot less heat on your starter and tranny lines... Just my view point... Listen to these other guys too... they are all great PPL and know thier stuff...

Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks 5time!
But c'mon guys no more input? I tried searching but found no success! I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could do or if it was something I had to take it to shop to do?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Its a somewhat simple job. I like the long-tube headers myself. My 76 already had the A/C system removed. All I had to do was fab up a new power steering pump bracket. Get some penetrating oil like jp breaker or something. The one thing you don't want to do is brake off a bolt in the head. You might haft to cut a section out of your stock down tube to make some room for the new headers. I found it much easier to install the passenger side header from the top and then jack to driver side of the car up and feed it in place from the bottom. Make sure to get some anti-seize on the new header bolts so they don't rust in place. I just removed the rest of the stock exhaust and welded up my own. You could run open headers for a very short time just to get it to your nearest muffler shop or just tow it there. Hope this helps a little.

Attached Thumbnails Headers question!-3.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 AM
2nd Gear member

What oldman9 said pretty much hits it on the head,although if you have the big a/c box sticking off the firewall,then the passenger side will have to come up from the bottom as well.Also unhook your battery,that way if the header hits the terminal on the starter while your putting it in,you dont short anything out.One last thing,it sounds like your car is pretty stock if it still has the manifolds,so i'm going to guess it probably still has the control arm cross braces as well,those have to taken off or cut notches in them to clear a few of the tubes on the headers.Most people just take them off and leave them off,you will see which braces i'm talking about if you try to install the headers,they will block you from getting them up there until you pull the 3 bolts that hold them on.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

alright guys thank you very much!