Headers install??$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Overdrive Member

There are braces that need to be removed. They run diagonal between the frame and the control arm mount.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you Nomad. I am convinced the new headers are the wrong ones my old headers cleared but the new ones contact as if to go through the actual rear A-arm housing witch is welded to the frame to bolt the a-arm on lol! crazy well I am glad I didn't damage my car yet. Ill get some summit headers for now again. when I get more money I will put the time to weld up some stainless.

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 02-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by ZL1CAMARO
Thank you Nomad. I am convinced the new headers are the wrong ones my old headers cleared but the new ones contact as if to go through the actual rear A-arm housing witch is welded to the frame to bolt the a-arm on lol! crazy well I am glad I didn't damage my car yet. Ill get some summit headers for now again. when I get more money I will put the time to weld up some stainless. I plan to incorporate a vacuum tube velocity enhancer to step to 2" size 18" after port exit and equal length with a custom design extra long transition collector 2" long before collector flange using thick wall tube to reduce noise and volume yet not sound. then 4" length of thick wall after col. then X pipe and small pipe to 4" over axle pipe reduced center exit dual 2-1/2". Maybe add dual megs gigantic cones to make horns on the end lol. Note primary tube to end of 3" col. will be xtra long compared to std long tubes.
Is that a sentence? I dont even understand the thought trying to be conveyed.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I do not Know but, I deleted it for a reason that is for sure lol! The reason was not for 'sentence structural design issues'. OK serious question- Does anyone else have SUMMIT or JEGS headers and say wether short or long tube and how was the fitment/ issues?

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 02-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just had a shop finish up a header install that I couldn't finish. Took, 3 different types to find one that would fit. I bought them all brand new and they were designed for my Z28. The first shop gave up because they had too much time in the car and the modifying they didn't like to do.

Everyone is going to tell you its easy. I've attempted 3 jobs. 2 I finished. All 3 were hell! Prepare yourself to become very furstrated

Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I put a set of jegs brand headers on an 81 i had.It was definitely not an easy job,but once done the fit was good.I had to remove the braces that were mentioned,and i also had to take the starter off,then i had to jack the car up as far as i could and the headers went up from the bottom.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Sheesh. I installed headers in a mustang II and everyone said it would be hell and the headers went on exactly how the instructions indicated. It had a slide in tube, alone that went around the front suspension and hooked back into the collector. One side went from bottom /one side from top with motor lifted & motor mount unbolted on one side.. it was a peice of cake. Now with this camaro and all that engine room and everything -and they cannot make a decent fit your '81 camaro header because they're lazy? All because they want the multi-application of half way fitting numerous vehicles? This is ridiculous. Time to weld up my own and sell copies of the best fitting 2nd gen camaro header. LOL maybe I will. I need a job anyway it might as well be this.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.M.
I put a set of jegs brand headers on an 81 i had.It was definitely not an easy job,but once done the fit was good.I had to remove the braces that were mentioned,and i also had to take the starter off,then i had to jack the car up as far as i could and the headers went up from the bottom.
Thanks BM. Were the jegs- long tubes or shorties?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Man, I never realized headers could be such a pain. I have done numerous swaps on everything from a g-body to a postal jeep. Of course I never worried much about the exhaust after that. Hope it works out for you man. I personally like the hooker headers on my car.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I notice the jegs and summit long tube headers have ever so slightly softer bends than the headers they most likely mimic from the pictures I have seen of the F-body headers.

Quick Reply: Headers install??$$$$$