Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   70-81 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/)
-   -   Headers install??$$$$$ (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/headers-install-%24%24%24%24%24-72507/)

Jeepin 11-20-2012 07:42 PM

Headers install??$$$$$

Hey guys I just bought some summit racing long tube headers and I was wondering how much do they charge for an install?? If too much is this something not too hard for me to do it myself? Would I have to remove many parts from the car to install? Or lift up the engine? Have any of u done this yourself? Any advice would help thanks!!

1971BB427 11-20-2012 09:52 PM

I don't know hardly anyone who pays to have headers installed. I would guess that most shops would charge about 4-5 hrs. labor at $60-$90 an hour. Plus a few parts to hook the exhuast up.
Remove the battery cable first!!!!
You'll need to get the stock manifolds off first, and often have to cut the pipes below to get them out of the way, and the bolts to the exhaust will usually be rusted up anyway. Once evrything is off you can drop the new headers in from above usually, but the car will probably have to be jacked up fairly high first. Once you get them fished down in place you can loosely start a couple bolts with the new gasket in place, then get under the car and see that they clear everything. Then just snug all the bolts and they're on. They usually come with instructions that will cover specific issues.
After the headers you'll need the exhaust connected, and that will require welding the collectors to the tailpipes with the reducers supplied.

Jeepin 11-20-2012 10:37 PM

So going through the top is better? I've heard it's a lot smoother when you install from the bottom up

BasicConcepts 11-21-2012 12:24 AM

Depends on the car really. I did some on a ford f150 and it was easier from the bottom.

B.M. 11-21-2012 04:15 AM

When i installed a set in an 81,they wouldn't go in from the top,i had to jack the car way up and come in from the bottom,different brands of headers are sometimes bent a bit different though,so guess it just depends.Not sure if the 79 has these or not,but you may have a brace on each side that runs from the subframe and bolts in the center of the lower control arm,if it has them,they will have to be removed as the header wont go down with it there,easy job though they just unbolt and slide off.

1971BB427 11-21-2012 05:50 PM

When I did them on my '71 with the big block they literally dropped in from the top. I guess some brands might be a pain one way or the other. See what your instructions say, and if they don't say, then just give it a try either way. You'll know in a few minutes if it will go or not.
You'll probably want to pull the spark plugs too, or risk breaking them.

B.M. 11-21-2012 06:16 PM

Yeah,definitely must be a brand thing.I bought the jegs brand and fought them for an hour trying to get them in from the top before i finally gave up and went from the bottom,although thinking back,i believe i did get the drivers side in from the top..I think 1 big factor though,is my car had a/c so it had that big box on the passenger side,if it's a heat only car it would be alot easier,which would also make another issue i forgot about a bit easier as well.When i went from the bottom,i had to drop the starter off the motor as the header would not squeeze up between the starter and the frame.Good point on pulling the plugs too,i forgot about that also.

Everett#2390 11-21-2012 06:56 PM

Pull the dipstick and its tube.
Place the car on stands as high as you can get it.
Place a tarp on the ground to prevent nicking/scratching the coating.
Be sure to include accessory mounting bracket fudge factors as most are bolted with the stock exh manifold in place.
Include a trip to the muffler shop for collector exhaust pipe install.
Use soft copper gaskets for sealing flanges and collectors. Do not overtighten collector flange bolts - snug nut to flatten lock washer, then one more nut flat tight.
Use the 1 inch long header bolts rather than the 3/4 inch long bolts - use antiseize, especially on alum heads. Alum heads should use studs and nuts.

Jeepin 11-21-2012 10:55 PM

Alright thanks for all the info guys ima have my local mechanic that I've known for a while do it for me but he is really not that experienced with installing headers so I will share all this info with him. Is there a specific torque he should tighten these down too? As far as the price he is charging me 140$ to remove the whole exhaust and manifolds, installing headers, and replacing my transmission gasket so I thought it was a pretty good deal!!

77nomad 11-22-2012 02:30 AM

Thats a good deal really. But headers are gravy. a sawzall and some PB Blaster can save you some cash. 140 bucks will cover a new manifold.