getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear member
Default getting on the road

Hey guys im getting ready to get my camaro on the road. First i've got to put in the speedomiter cable [still don't know if its a one or a 2 piece] if it has cruise it will be a 2 piece right? i dont think it has cruise, but could I just buy the one piece and put that in if it does have it? i dont want cruise control anyway. Second im gonna be getting exhaust for it cause i took the old off right under the cab where it bolts up the cat and muffler, they were shot and full of rust. But okay so im gonna be getting full length headers, x pipes, and flow tech purple hornies glass packs. My question is, if the headers reducers are 2.25 in. the x pipes are 2.25in. inlet outlet, and the glass packs are 2.25in. inlet outlet. Is that how i need to buy it? or do i need to get the 2.50 x pipes? im wondering if there will be clearance to connect the pieces if they're all the same size? sorry im still learning idk if they make em with the clearances or not here are the links to what i'll be getting. any comments on how ya'll think the system should work? bad? good? a pain to put in?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear member

here are the links sorry forgot to put em up there.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9001/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-642122/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50225FLT/

oh and about aluminized steel? does it weld like normal steel? or do i need a special set up

Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear member

im trying to clean up under the hood could you guys help me identify a few things? first is this ball thing pic #1. I have no idea what it is im guessing smog stuff? i think its hooked to the carb ill have to check. Is it necessary or can it go? second and pic #2 okay so here were on the drivers side and by the spark plug between the header and engine theres this wire plug? anyone know what its for? electric choke?. 3rd and pic #3 this thing was just setting behind the brake booster is it my speedo cable that does not work? lol. i feel like an idiot asking what this stuff is but i cant find my chiltons book to identify it. oh and im pretty sure my engine heat level gauge doesn't work any trouble shooting advice? what should i try first?. sorry to just keep adding more stuff guys im just trying to make sure i go over everything before i take it on the road. just one more thing for now my turn signals are wack when i switch em on i hear the clicking and the console lights blink but out back they come on just don't blink so technically i have a turn signal just not a blinking one what you guys think? fuse or grounding issues? thats all untill i find more lol. Name:  DSCN0660.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  99.8 KB

Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Name:  DSCN0661.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  75.0 KB

Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Name:  DSCN0662.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  112.1 KB

Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear member

As for the ball on the firewall it is a vacum canister for your heater/ac control.For your temp gauge it could be a bad gauge,or it could be a bad sensor,and as far as your turn signals,if they come on but dont blink,try replacing the bulbs,sometimes if one stops working they will both stop.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear member

okay thanks ill try the bulbs. and as for my speedo cable i have now found out after taking it out, testing it which it worked fine that its actually the part that it hooks up to in the tranny that doesn't work any help guys? idk if its replacable or not? i have a borg warner either t10 or super t10 i hooked the cable back up had my mom watch the speedomiter while i spun the cable under the car and it worked but then i hooked it to the tranny and drove it and still the same not working so i know its the part that it hooks to in the tranny

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member

i think a speedo driven gear might be what i need? i believe its the plastic piece that is in the part that you hook the speedo cable to that is bad. is this the type of thing where i'll have to drop the tranny? i'm not completely sure im just guessing here ill go take a look at it in a bit and make sure if the plastic piece in the tranny hook up is twisted out or not and if its gonna be to big of an ordeal ill probably just leave it as it is and just figure out what speeds ill be running at what rpm in the different gears and drive it like that

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You won't need to drop the tranny. The same area you took the cable loose from the transmission is where the gear is located. There's a housing held in by a half moon shaped piece of steel. Remove the half moon thingy (but don't lose it. They are a real biatch to find replacement's for) and the whole assembly should come out. Then you can check the plastic gear for wear.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

alright thanks man i thought it looked like that assembly came out but i didn't get to recheck today cause i was doing body work and didnt want to put the car on my ramps or jack stands i'll try looking at it tomorrow for sure. but on another note i got all my bondoing done to sharpen things up tomorrow i'll hopefully be able to get all the sanding done today and a lil about a week ago were my first times with bondo so it got laid on thick in some spots but sanding isn't to bad and it'll be worth it

Quick Reply: getting on the road