First Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by WatsonCustoms
The guy I bought it from said it was a 1981 Z28. Well, after some research, its a base Camaro. Was Brown from factory with a 350. But the front clip was swapped over by a previous owner. So it's not a true z28. Simply a clone. The speedometer has been swapped over from the base. The dash is brown and cracked, the seats have been covered blue, and the interior panels are black. So I have ALOT of work to do. But I am 19 years old with some experience of completely redoing a Chevy. Heres my previous ride. I worked on it for about 2 years. Went to a car show and on the way back wrecked it and totalled it

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3883972_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...43839110_n.jpg
For what its worth, I have a 78 Z and a 80 sport coupe. The 80 will out perform the 78 in every way. I think when it comes to second gens the look of a Z is more important than being a Z. Horsepower ratings were so dismal in 81 that the Corvette was making a whopping 195HP. If you got the look its all good unless its a low mile type situation where the value would actually change.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Yea the hp is shockingly low for this year model. I plan on turning it into somethin special look-wise first, then after my finances look the way I want, I'd like to get an LS series engine. All depending on the situation God leads me into. Anyhow, I got some N90 wheels (also heard them called "cookie cutter style") and I was wondering about how I could paint them? I plan on color matching the rims with the car when its said and done, so what is the preferred way of painting the rims?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...24239330_n.jpg

These are 2 of what I have. A set sells for about 400-600. So I took a cheaper way (and more aggravating) and bought 3 rims for about 200. So I need one more, but anyhow. These are the rims i'll be putting on there.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Noone knows how to paint them? I figured SOMEONE could help me out

Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Default painting your wheels

Originally Posted by WatsonCustoms
Noone knows how to paint them? I figured SOMEONE could help me out
once you have all your wheels, there are a couple of options you have for re-finishing them. you can go to lowes and buy some paint stripper and strip all the old paint off, or. sandblast them. much quicker and cleaner.
but will add more final polishing to all the unpainted edges. once they are stripped, go to an auto parts franchise store ( autozone, advance, orielys, whatever) you want to get a a couple cans of "fill n sand" primer. and a couple cans of enamal paint in the color you want, and some clear enamal. and some masking tape,some 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper, some #000 steel wool and mag wheel polish, like mothers or eagle one. once you have them stripped, make sure you wash them VERY THOUGHOULY with warm water and dawn dishsoap and rinse them VERY well. let them dry 100% mask off the edges with tape and use an XACTO knife to trim the tape to the very edge, use good tape..it will make your life MUCH easier removing it. i alsways buy 3M. prime the wheels with about 4 very light mist coats, allowing each coat to dry completely between it and the next one, with each coat gettign slightly heavier that the last. then after the last coat dries, put one more good coat of primer, but not to heavy.
Once the primer has had a good 8-12 hours to dry, in the sun would be best or under a heat lamp, use 1 or 2 drops of dish soap in warm water and wet sand lightly the primer, taking care not to break thru to the metal. just get a nice smooth finish on it, hose off the wheels, allow to dry completely. re-tape if needed. apply 3-4 light mist coats of color, with time to dry in between each. then apply 2-3 coats a little heavier, but dont flood it. allow time to dry between each again. once the color has had ample time to dry completely, you can wet sand again VERY LIGHTLY. your just prepping the surface for proper adheasion of the clear, wash again and dry, retape if needed. apply 4-5 mist coats of clear with time to dry. then spray one last moderate coat of clear with 24 hours minimum under the sun or heat lamp to dry and cure.
once everything has dried completely, remove tape and use the #000 steel wool with a little polish to dress up the bare edges, use care to not hit the new paint with the wool.
I know this is long winded, but this is one of those things you get out of it what you put in it. with any paint work, prep and paintence is EVERYTHING to acheive quality results. good luck, and have fun!

oh! one more thing. once all the final polishing is complete, if you want, you can spray 1 or 2 more light coats of clear over the entire wheel to protect the unpainted surfaces as well, however, in time, it will more than likely peel, depending on driving conditions etc. and require it to be redone some day down the road, but will save you alot of elbow grease in the mean time.

Last edited by 1995Z/28; 06-01-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added to instruction
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM

you may want to wait and instead of rattle cans, just do the painting at the same time you paint the car and use the same paint for an EXACT match.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Be careful painting wheels a matching color to the body. It rarely looks good, as it's too much of one color. I'd paint them a neutral color like semigloss black, dark gray, or something like that.
I've had really good results with Duplicolor or Rustoleum Wheel Paint. Both are designed for the purpose and hold up well for years. Otherwise I'd shoot them with a gun if you don't want rattlecan paint.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by traverso
Hi just had a check and these are great Can you share here more similar images ?
I'm a little confused. Probably not any reason to clutter up this person's thread with more pics of my projects.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM

I have no prob with you posting pictures, they are more than welcome. Thanks guys, I should be working on the Camaro soon

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Keep the pics coming. So what if it'd not a real Z. Once its done, Noone but you will know,lol

Quick Reply: First Thread