Engine Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine Questions???

hey guys i was just wondering about some things i have heard some people doing to their engines they sometimes say that their engine is bored over like for example they say its .60 bored or something like that...so the question is what does that mean and does it improve performance??? also while you guys are here is their any way to find out if my intake is a performance intake or if its just a regular one??? it says elderblock on it but im not sure what model it is???and its all dirty cuz the radiator hose had a hole in it but thats fixed now thanks for all your help im new to this engine building and messing with so all your inputs help!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Engine Questions???-photo-3-.jpg   Engine Questions???-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First off Welcome to the Forum. As to your intake. It should most likley say it on there what it is...Mine is Edelbrock too...Mine has "Performer RPM" stamped on it. Edelbrock itself is an aftermarket name. The original one that came on that engine wouldnt have a brand name stamped on it.

If it doesnt say anything on it is there anyway if the situation is right to ask the person you bought it off of to find out what it is?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When an engine gets miles on it, the surface of the cylinders get worn down from the abrasion of the piston rings. They can also wear oblong, or at a slight angle. The rings want to be a certain gap and there's a maximum piston to side wall clearance to stay at. If an engine wears to the point that those specs can't be met, it's time for an overbore. Basically, the cylinders are drilled (machined) out a little larger, as much as needed or what the block will allow. It's not done to gain power, although it will help performance as compared to if that engine was slapped together as-is. For instance, an .030 overbore on a 350 will give you a 355. If that 350 could produce 350 h.p., that equals 1 h.p. per cubic inch. By simple math, keeping the same ratio, you would in essence gain 5 h.p. with those 5 extra cubic inches you gained.
The Edelbrock intake you have is most likely a Performer model. It's a pretty good all around street manifold, although the air gap is better.
Oh, if you haven't already done so, your cooling system needs a serious flushing, by evidence of that rusty mess the coolant leak left.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear member

I second what camaro 69 said. I'm guessing the intake you have is a performer model, like this only older Edelbrock 2101 - Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com in my opinion it's really just an alluminum version of the stock cast iron intake manifold it has some benifits but not really what I'd call a performance intake, and most performance intakes won't have the exhaust crossover for your carb like this Edelbrock 7501 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com notice the difference in the middle area where there isn't that extra riser it's just flat. that exhaust crossover helps warm things up for cold starts and sets the choke on your carb once things warm up it open more etc... (at least I think thats what it's for).

Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright thanks guys I can't figure it out by calling the person who sold it to me cuz that's my uncle and he got it from a salvage yard but it looks like the one James is talking about and also thanks Camaro 69 for explaining that out

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ya that works...and I understand...when I first got my car I used a lot of junk yard parts...Now Im thankfully able to start replacing some of those...You have it a little harder than some bc you have to do all the research yourself. Just please take pride in your car and find out anything and everything you can about your ride!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Nothing wrong with junkyard parts. If it wasn't for junkyards we'd be in bad shape finding a lot of things needed for these older cars. I've still got the junkyard rearend in my '71 that I bought back in the mid 1980's.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah u can find some really good parts at thje salvage yards not for them,we would be hurting for sure,i like the u pull it ones.