engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member
Default engine questions

okay so ive been restoring my 79' z28 so far ive changed the front fenders lining up the hood will be fun XO primed the whole car and got new tires for it so i can try to get it on the road now im starting to go a little more into the guts then cosmetic the engine is the completely stock 350 that came with it, ive bought a edelbrock performer 750 square bore carb and i have questions relating to an intake the one i want is a edelbrock super victor intake which says it has a basic operating range of 3,500 to 8,000 now my questions being im am 18 this is my first car and well i dont know much haha thats why i ask questions first now can i run that intake on a stock engine? or will an intake like that need a bigger cam and heads? so i guess can i just get that intake and run it or will i basically need a top end kit to go with it? and hood clearence isnt a problem cause i want to top it with a scoop any help or opinions would be great thanks, james.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Overdrive Member

The carb is a little big and the intake is definitly. Your stock motor with stock cam will like about a 600cfm and a performer simular dual plane. Does your car have a tach. if it does drive it around for awile and count how many times the motor spins past 3 grand and how long its there. That is where the super victor is just starting to come on. Now and to that the stock motor is starting to crap out and between 5000 and 5500. See what I mean. A good dual plane will be right up your alley. Performers work from idle to 5500 and rpm's work from 1500 to 6500.

Don't worry about being young and not knowing much, NONE of us here started with any knowledge and most of us stsrted small on a young mans budget. See the intake on the motor in my avitar? Its a Victor Jr. I put it on there for the pic only. I too bought it when I was about 18. Haven't used it yet (i'm 32 now). I did have a Team G that a friend sold me and I ran that on the drag car for a few years. The current set up is a 383 with Performer RPM and will get an Air gap when it comes time to fire it up.

Last edited by 77nomad; 05-08-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Plus not even sure it would fit under a stock hood. Go for an RPM performer and probably like a 600cfm carb. I may be interested in the 750 carb if you want to sell.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The carb is a little big and the intake is definitly. Your stock motor with stock cam will like about a 600cfm and a performer simular dual plane. Does your car have a tach. if it does drive it around for awile and count how many times the motor spins past 3 grand and how long its there. That is where the super victor is just starting to come on. Now and to that the stock motor is starting to crap out and between 5000 and 5500. See what I mean. A good dual plane will be right up your alley. Performers work from idle to 5500 and rpm's work from 1500 to 6500.

Don't worry about being young and not knowing much, NONE of us here started with any knowledge and most of us stsrted small on a young mans budget. See the intake on the motor in my avitar? Its a Victor Jr. I put it on there for the pic only. I too bought it when I was about 18. Haven't used it yet (i'm 32 now). I did have a Team G that a friend sold me and I ran that on the drag car for a few years. The current set up is a 383 with Performer RPM and will get an Air gap when it comes time to fire it up.
Definitely too much for a stock 79. You only were rated at 175hp at 4000 rpm and 270torque at 2400 rpm in stock form. That type of intake and carb on that engine would just have it fall flat on it's face on takeoff. The Edelbrock Performer 2101 is a great option for you. You can probably get by with the 750 if the secondaries are similar to a vacuum secondary on Holleys. If they are a vacuum secondary style then they'll only pull open based off engine load and you can tune that open or close however you want usually (at least with Holleys you can).

Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear member

alright thanks for the help guys, probably after summer when my budgets up ill probably be looking at a rebuild and top end kit cause well im pretty sure it needs a rebuild i think some of the piston oil rings are bad and alot of other stuff, but if i up the size of the heads and cam then a larger intake and carb will work better right? but before i was thinking about the victor i was bout set on an rpm air gap that'd work a little better for my current application and right now the thought process moving on this intake buying is i dont wanna waste 50 bucks on an adaptor plate to fit the square bore to the stock intake when i can just put that towards a new intake

Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Overdrive Member

I would almost always go with the Air Gap on a street motor. I wouldn't worry about even adapting that 750 to the stock 350. It will run but with limited tuning experiance it would be just dumb luck getting to run. You say it needs rings. Is it burning oil, if so save your pennies and do the rebuild. Try to stay out of the street light derby in the mean time. I know its hard.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear member

haha oh thats not to hard right now its not tagged and insured yet and theres not even a strip anywhere around here unless someone decides to rent the airport for a bit and ill probably be asking alot more questions soon when i can try to drive it a bit cause well i think its just the carb but when i try to drive it just around my front yard when i put it into gear ive got to keep the rpms pretty high or it will die its not as bad if i have it in reverse though but i hope its the carb and not the tranny or clutch or something that i cant afford right now but supposedly the woman i bought it from said it needs a new flywheel but she also said i could take it to the chevy dealership and they would sell me one and put it in for 20 bucks so i dont really think she new what she was talking about

Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That was a mouthful.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't try to put the 750 on a small block, even if you change heads and a cam. It's just too much carb regardless. I'd stick with a 600-650 Holley and trade or sell the 750 for it. I'd also go with the Performer or Performer air gap. Good streetable manifold that will really increase useable HP.
Good to ask lots of questions rather than learn from mistakes. There's lots of knowledge around this site from guys who've already made the mistakes and learned from them. I know I've made my share when I was younger!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I wouldn't try to put the 750 on a small block, even if you change heads and a cam. It's just too much carb regardless.
I'd disagree with that. With my old 280h cam I went from a 600 to a 650 to a 750 and saw a step up performance wise each time in both low and top end. That's with stock 882 heads and 9:1 cr and .512 lift. A friend of mine runs an 850 on his 355 (300+ duration and 570 lift) and that thing is a nice street machine with good street manners that runs high 11's.

ChevyHiPerformance had an article about tuning Holley's all the way up to 1000cfm for almost any engine. Boosters (straight, annular, dog leg, etc.) have a major play on it as well as an intelligent tuner.

Quick Reply: engine questions