Electric choke and oil pressure dummy light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Default Electric choke and oil pressure dummy light

Can anyone educate me on the wiring for my electric choke on a 79 Camaro?

The wire from the harness that goes to the oil sending unit just below the distributor has a single female connector, and the unit has a single male blade connector.

After looking at some wiring diagrams and the wiring on my 84k10 I decided I needed a sender with two prongs. One to connect to the existing harness plug and the other to feed the electric choke thermostat whenever the sending unit detects oil pressure.

It isn't working. I'm getting no voltage at the choke with engine running, I'm also not detecting voltage at the female harness connector. I don't fully understand how the sending unit and the dummy light wiring works. Should there be voltage to the sending unit via the harness connector? If so, is there a certain fuse I should check or something else? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're not getting voltage at the oil sending unit because that's a ground wire. Switched power goes to the gauge from inside the car. The sending unit acts like a resistor, which changes ground resistance based on oil pressure, and sends variable ground back to the gauge, making the needle fluctuate accordingly.
First you need to go back to the correct oil sending unit you had, then run a 12 volt wire to the choke from any good switched power source you can find. The original choke wire should still be there hiding somewhere from the engine bay wiring harness.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You're not getting voltage at the oil sending unit because that's a ground wire. Switched power goes to the gauge from inside the car. The sending unit acts like a resistor, which changes ground resistance based on oil pressure, and sends variable ground back to the gauge, making the needle fluctuate accordingly.
First you need to go back to the correct oil sending unit you had, then run a 12 volt wire to the choke from any good switched power source you can find. The original choke wire should still be there hiding somewhere from the engine bay wiring harness.
My car doesn't have a gauge, just an idiot light. Does what you said above hold true with that setup as well?

Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by adgalloway
My car doesn't have a gauge, just an idiot light. Does what you said above hold true with that setup as well?
Yes, but the light just warns you when you have engine oil pressure issues, after it's too late. I don't like idiot lights.