dummy exhaust man

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default dummy exhaust man

so as many of you may or may not know by now i have a 78 'maro with the 5.7 350, my dad and i called it the Auschwitz Car bc the exhaust leak was SO bad that by the time i would get home from school i would be light headed and sick, it wasnt that bad originally, and you only really notice it now that its winter and the windows are up, so instead of doing exhaust work in the cold we took it somewhere. he said that they had the flowmaster mufflerrs and stuff, but if i had my cats on still it wouldnt make any difference in sound, so he was just going to throw on a stock muffler. and he said dont worry it'll still sound loud. well i get the car back and it is silent! i am SSOOOO pissed, i am greatful that my dad fixed my car, i am just pissed i was lied to, or i think i was, would it really make NO difference if i still have the cat and single exhaust?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say someone is not so car smart. dont be mad i have a feeling he didnt know. high flow muffler would be louder. less restrictions for flow also mean less restriction for noise. u will have to make some bucks so u can afford a new exhaust.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah, i wasnt going all out this time, this is still single exhaust stock headers, i just wanted to not die but have some rumble lol i might just take a sawsall to the back like i have in the past and throw on something from autozone or something. i just figured the owner of an exhaust shop would know more about exhausts! lol ill probably keep this until i can afford my long tube headers and xpipe and all of that fun stuff.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear member

get 12$ in pipe from shucks and run duel 27" cherry bomb glass packs..... is what im doing just got to get the bend on.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member

u have room for that? lol it looks like there is no room under that car, and im not doing any work on it in the winter, too cold and i have no room in my garage for that car lol, the most i'll do is park it for the winter and bring the engine inside and rebuild it slowly but surely, that probably isnt until next winter when i hopefully have a job, i was just so upset with the sound of this new thing, after the guy said it would sound bad-*** and now its just like any other car but now i can actually hear the rubbing tires and all of the squeeks and creaks from the 32 yr old suspension and interior lol. in the words of the great George Carlin "you gone and cutt his nuts off!"

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear member

im doing it lol. i got open headers right now.... holy crap man. duel bombs are tight though .

Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I built mine at home in the driveway too. Started with a couple lengths of 2.5" straight pipe and held them up to the collectors. Figured out how much offset I needed and took them to work and bent them on the pipe bender, but you can take them to a muffler shop and tell them what offset you want and they will do it cheap too.
Then I brought the pices home and welded the collector reducers on the ends and bolted them loosely to the headers. After that I measured the spot I wanted the mufflers and marked the pipes, took them off, then cut them and test fitted. Once I was sure they were correct, I marked them to indicate dead center on the bottom and installed my mufflers, tailpipes and hangers. Then tightened the collector bolts and was done.
I used inexpensive Turbo mufflers from my local parts store where I got the pipe. They fit between the floor pan and the rear axle, and don't cut into my ground clearance. They're not extremely loud, so I can enjoy the car without annoying everyone else, but they're loud enough to sound nice when you accelerate!
You can just clamp the mufflers and tailpipes onto the header pipe if you have the muffler shop weld your collector to the pipe after they make the offset. That way you don't even need to do any welding, or drive to the muffler shop with open headers.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Or you could just buy it completed and asemble it!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680101/

Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM

I accept with information:Then I brought the pices home and welded the collector reducers on the ends and bolted them loosely to the headers. After that I measured the spot I wanted the mufflers and marked the pipes, took them off, then cut them and test fitted. Once I was sure they were correct, I marked them to indicate dead center on the bottom and installed my mufflers, tailpipes and hangers. Then tightened the collector bolts and was done.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^^ go away spammer.