Thinking of purchasing an 86, I am a car dummy need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 AM
agb
Default Thinking of purchasing an 86, I am a car dummy need advice?

Hi all, I just joined the thread because I am thinking about buying an 86. Found an add online the other day for this car and I am quite interested.

All the add said is the following:

"has the 2.8 multi port, licensed and inspected till october.. need this car gone ASAP.. will also consider trade car + cash for a good bike. 191 000 km"

There is only one pic in the add of exterior, looks ok.

What I would like you guys to help me out with is the folowing, what questions should I ask the guy before driving down to see the car about it. What shouold I find out is replaced and needs to be replaced.

I dont have tons of money to keep putting into the car every month and I am not mechanically inclined, this car is just to get me around town if I get it. Is it an expensive upkeep car?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM

there is probably going to be rust on it. ask if the interior is complete not missing the headliner or door panels. ask about the brake lines, test anything eletrical. how much is he asking for it and can you post that one pic. ask for more pics before you go so you know what you are going to see. pictures can make cars look better then they really do ask for detailed pics of what is wrong with the car. what model is it? im guessing it's not a z28 iroc or ss it might be a berlinetta or a RS if it has the v6. is it a 5 speed? almost every v6 is a 5 speed. check the wheel wells they can rust all the way around. if it has a ground effects kit check under the car and where the plastic body kit covers the metal it loves to rust out there. good luck post pics!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well, yer a newbie, so Ill be blunt with you. DO NOT buy an old Camaro if you want a daily driver. DO NOT buy an old Camaro if you are expecting a fire breathing powerhouse. DO NOT buy this car if you think an oil change, plugs and air filter will breath new life into the car. DO NOT buy this car if your first attempts to modify it involve a KN air filter or loud muffler. Buy this car if: You have disposable income to constantly tinker and fix the car. You have free time to work on it. You want to learn how to work on cars and have another daily driver lined up.

Heres what Im getting at: a 24 year old car will be full of problems. Many of them will be silly little things that will make your car non operational and take days to find out. IF you have the MONEY, TIME, EXPERIENCE (or a mentor) these are nice cars to fix up. If you want a daily driver, avoid it.....

Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Scott your 100% correct.

If you want a daily driver with some pep and low maintenance, Cars from the mid 90's like Toyota Celicas, Cavaliers, Grand Ams and VW's should be in the the same price range. Stay away from old trucks, Dodge and small Fords....they are cursed!!!!