cold air induction for carbureted engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, thats the way my pop is where as my uncle who is the same age as my pop likes the pro touring style!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's not just the "pro touring " look, to me it's just any look that everyone jumps onto. Once a certain style build gets too popular and I start to see the same similar look everywhere, it starts to get old for me.
I understand the pro touring thing, and when it first came out it was pretty cool, but I can't open a magazine anymore that the writers aren't writing up another pro touring car. It's been done to death, as have the 100% stock restorations of muscle cars. Since I'm older than dirt I remember all those same cars when they were new on showroom floors, and a car restored to that look is nice, but bores me to tears when I go to shows and see so many restored cars. Concours cars all look just like they did when the factories built them. Not much for me to get excited about.
End of rant.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, I feel ya!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
It's not just the "pro touring " look, to me it's just any look that everyone jumps onto. Once a certain style build gets too popular and I start to see the same similar look everywhere, it starts to get old for me.
I understand the pro touring thing, and when it first came out it was pretty cool, but I can't open a magazine anymore that the writers aren't writing up another pro touring car. It's been done to death, as have the 100% stock restorations of muscle cars. Since I'm older than dirt I remember all those same cars when they were new on showroom floors, and a car restored to that look is nice, but bores me to tears when I go to shows and see so many restored cars. Concours cars all look just like they did when the factories built them. Not much for me to get excited about.
End of rant.
What about Pro Street? Man you had to follow a formula with that one. Mono chrome paint. Usually in a sea foam green or a soft pink w/ some type of graphics down the side. They ALL had to have a gray tweed interior. Oh yeah, 18 x 32 rears and a hood scoop were mandatory as well.

Personally I am tired of pro anything. My car has bigger wheels and tires. Half for a look I fell in love with before the pro touring had a name and the other half is honestly because I want a car that handles.

Pro touring has a formula now too. Super expensive wheels, 1000+ hp and Corvette suspension and brakes.

Now for the scourge , RAT RODS. Ok the were cool when guys without a ton of dough were building them. Now guys who can't turn wrenches for them selves are having them built with false patina paint and tons of new stuff made to look old. These are fast becoming high dollar, craptastic piles of garbage. I swear it won't be long before someone markets a fiberglass body 32 Ford with actual rust hole molded into it.

Now I'M done ranting LOL.

Last edited by 77nomad; 06-21-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
What about Pro Street? Man you had to follow a formula with that one. Mono chrome paint. Usually in a sea foam green or a soft pink w/ some type of graphics down the side. They ALL had to have a gray tweed interior. Oh yeah, 18 x 32 rears and a hood scoop were mandatory as well.

Personally I am tired of pro anything. My car has bigger wheels and tires. Half for a look I fell in love with before the pro touring had a name and the other half is honestly because I want a car that handles.

Pro touring has a formula now too. Super expensive wheels, 1000+ hp and Corvette suspension and brakes.

Now for the scourge , RAT RODS. Ok the were cool when guys without a ton of dough were building them. Now guys who can turn wrenches for them selves are having them built with false patina paint and tons of new stuff made to look old. These are fast becoming high dollar, craptastic piles of garbage. I swear it won't be long before someone markets a fiberglass body 32 Ford with actual rust hole molded into it.

Now I'M done ranting LOL.
+1, lol!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Graphics really date a car to me, and I didn't like graphics when they first came out. (remember lace paint too? ugh!)
RAT RODS! I don't like them ,never liked them, even when they were the real deal. I do like barn find cars that are nice enough to save and not restore, but only if they're nice enough. A lot of guys are driving crap around that the fenders hav holes in them and the brackets have rusted off, and saying they are saving it by not fixing the stuff properly. It's an excuse I think to just leave it, and not get it looking good again.
I've got a friend who built a rat rod 32 Ford 2dr sedan with a hemi in it, and went through a lot of work to really engineer the chassis and running gear well. He did leave the body natural, with all it's patina, which is in decent shape. He gets crap from the rat rod crowd for his car not being a real rat rod because it's too nicely built. I just don't get the bailing wire and exposed welds on the body thing? Safety is the most imposrtant thing in a build, then looks a close 2nd!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Agreed, not a good idea to sit on a milk crate and call it a seat.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM

maybe im the odd nut here but I love all styles of cars as long as your turning the wrenches yourself and not paying to have foose/coddington (rip/WCC/etc. build your car then build it up and be proud! that 70 up front is CLEAN i love the look of the CAI. not my style to do on my car but beautiful non the less.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Overdrive Member

I think were all in agreement. No one dawgs ANYONES car here. Thats just the way roll.