cat glowing red

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default cat glowing red

ok i have been working on an old camaro a 75 and i have just been going back original as far as mechanical,i have the quadrojet carb on it i installed a rebuilt 350and i have set the timning.well anyway when i let the car warm up i noticed that the cat converter is glowing red?i replaced the original with a direct replacement however i do not have anything hooked up from the cat back. in other words the end of the cat is the end of my exhaust so could that cause it?i dont see how but thats why i am asking.thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: cat glowing red

Fuel mixture too rich or the engine is misfring. Make sure the choke is opening.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM

your 350 could be running too-rich and the cat is burningtheunused gas

Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok,on the quadrojet carb i think the only adjustments i can make are the 2 screws in front to make it richer or leaner (but isnt this only at idle?)and yes the choke is open(the flap was open as far is could open).any other adjustments i dont know about? thank you

Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i checked the timing with a timing light and its set were it should be.i do not not how to tell if advance is working properly or not.also on carb i have the original and a rebuilt one from oriellys.i swapped them and i have the same problem with cat using either one.the only adjustment i see is the 2 idle screw adjustments.any other adjustment for changeing the fuel/air ratio.the original carb i am sure is original so i would believe it to have the proper jsets in it.any help would be appreciated.thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

update = since i was trying to find out why my cat was glowing red i thought i would swap carbs(still had original and was working when i pulled original motor) so i swap the carbs and still the cat glows.the return line to the fuel pump had a small leak (since i have owned it)and i just had not gotten around to replacing so i did but afteri replaced the hose that was leaking the car flooded so bad it would not start even after sitting. so i replaced the fuel pump and while i had it off i notice the return line seemed rather restricted (yes i blew on the gas line with my mouth) so then i hooked up the air hose and blew it out and then it did seem less restricted.well after getting everything back on and tried to crank it, it was backfiring big time so i changed the plugs and yes they were fouled and now i am back to running.so it seems the leak in the return line was enough to keep it from flooding but when i fixed it ,it did flood so i am hoping that the reason for the cat glowing red was because the engine could just handle the excess fuel without flooding but the cat was burning the excess.i have not had a chance yet to run it long enough to see if cat is still glowing,i sure hope not.