Body Cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Default Body Cracking?

I had a question about body cracking, my camaro has a vortec 350 in it aside from the heads its fairly stock. I was sanding down some areas getting the car ready for primer and paint and I found cracks in the body where the roof and door glass meet. I am going to put sub frame connectors in to fix the problem, but I wanted to know how much a camaro can handle before it cracks like this. the car is a non T-top car.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Body Cracking?

A crack like you have isn't uncommon due to age and constant body flexing/twisting. Subframe connectors will tighten the body up. And be sure to weld the crack, or it'll be back.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

While torque can cause this so can a pot hole. In many of the cases I have seen someone has let the body mounts go to far and that makes the sloppy its just a matter of time before you get thosecracks in the windshield that extend from the top to the botton and thesheet metal crack you describe. If it was me, anything over 300hp I would support.

Course my rag top has a little over 300 I just can not bring myself to mod it.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

totally common problem. no big deal

Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM

I agree with Gorn,
this is a very common problem, and be sides torque/ horse power pot holes, rail road tracks, and aggressive turns can bend the unibody of the subframe, also look for any tattle tail signs or panel replacements,
on some F-bodies, and G-body cars i have seen where in-correct panel alignment with replacement quarterpanels and patch welding start tearing away.
when you start welding the crack strip the paint about two and half inches past the crack. drill a 1/8 hole at the of the crack and grind/ sand all the rust out. then weld with a medium heat; depending on how long the crack is weld on 1/4" to 1/2" inch at a time and keep a bucket or warm water close by and quence the metal after each weld. if you know how to weld take your own steps but for a beginer or some one that doesnt weld on a daily basis should take these steps as you never can tell how these old car well react to high heat. you dont want burn through or warp the panel.

before you weld those cracks in my opinion i would take your classic to a frame shop and have then true your frame and let them weld in your frame connector, it is not that expencive and it is tottally worth it, exspecially if you plan on adding a higher performance later on.
after your frame is trued then weld your cracked roof and remember to gring out all the rust so you dont get and wet suprises later on.

when i had a summer job as a lifeguard there was a saying " if its wet and not your dont touch it " well strange useless humor sorry, lol

hope we where all a good help for you
V/R
tackleberry