Blacking out bezels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a heck of a good idea with the rod. Thanks

Joe if I was you, I'd pull the grill and paint all of them at the same time with the same paint. Don't use a flat, it collects dust, and is an absolute Biatch to keep clean. Satin is probably the most forgiving coverage wise and has almost the same slickness as gloss so it doesn't collect dust so bad.
A friend of mine painted some of the stuff on his car flat black, and has regretted it ever since.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll trade u some real Z black headlight bezels for the chrome ones that are on yours if you want to come and get em from me lol....

Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
That's a heck of a good idea with the rod. Thanks

Joe if I was you, I'd pull the grill and paint all of them at the same time with the same paint. Don't use a flat, it collects dust, and is an absolute Biatch to keep clean. Satin is probably the most forgiving coverage wise and has almost the same slickness as gloss so it doesn't collect dust so bad.
A friend of mine painted some of the stuff on his car flat black, and has regretted it ever since.
LOL i know what you mean about the flat black, I painted my subframe flat black and i'm regretting it already and i never drove the car yet lol

Originally Posted by BenL07
I'll trade u some real Z black headlight bezels for the chrome ones that are on yours if you want to come and get em from me lol....
Lol, Owen Sound right? The finish is starting to peel you wouldn't want them anyway. Thanks though.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Don't all late model 2nd gens come with the hood release sticking out of the front grill? And ya I'd say go with black bezels, just don't paint them flat black.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Latinoeheat
Don't all late model 2nd gens come with the hood release sticking out of the front grill?
I blieve it was only on the 78,my 81 you have to reach under the nose to pull the release.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
Lol, Owen Sound right? The finish is starting to peel you wouldn't want them anyway. Thanks though.
Yea, and i think you can probably get them for pretty cheap like they are only plastic so i would try yearone or classic industries or someplace like that rather then just painting them...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BenL07
Yea, and i think you can probably get them for pretty cheap like they are only plastic so i would try yearone or classic industries or someplace like that rather then just painting them...
I've had real good luck repainting headlight bezels and grills in the past. I use trim black from a spray can and a spray on adhesion promoter (after cleaning and scuffing all the material to be painted). I did 3 (i think) with the same two $16 cans of material. Much cheaper than buying new. Money's tight right now in my neck of the woods.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Overdrive Member

WOW 16 bucks. Duplicolor trim black is only 6-8 here. I have always used it with good results and proper prep. Really if you see my pics earlier all that stuff was painted ten years ago with rattle can. Even the center of my scoop is trim black. That car hasn't been inside in all the years I had it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
WOW 16 bucks. Duplicolor trim black is only 6-8 here. I have always used it with good results and proper prep. Really if you see my pics earlier all that stuff was painted ten years ago with rattle can. Even the center of my scoop is trim black. That car hasn't been inside in all the years I had it.
$16 was for both cans...color and adhesion promoter. I was going to steal the bezels out of my 77 and do them for my 79 to save a little coin, but it turns out the design is just a little different, so I'm now in the market for some 79 headlight bezels...mine are garbage.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Ahh pvc glue works. I know.

Quick Reply: Blacking out bezels?