B&M shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, I got lucky! I'm in this a grand total of around $78 now. Had to buy a new cable, bracket and arm, plus the sheetmetal and stick on faux leather sheeting.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Took the plate off again today and epoxied the side onto the top, so I could then drill out the rivets. Filled the rivet holes with more epoxy and recovered the whole thing again. Now the rivets are gone so it's smooth and clean looking.
Nice day today; cold windy, but clear and sunny! Tested the shifter's operation for a couple hours!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Thats the best part of adding something new to your car,is having a reason to go "test it" haha.Hopefully come spring i'll have mine complete enough to go do a little testing myself.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear member

awesome it was good weather today. been driving camaro in good and bad weather. so far so good. my firebirds down right now so only means of transportation for my self. verry proud of my work over the past 4 months to be geting me around again. and better than before!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Even with the occasional frustrations, it's still fun and rewarding to get a hotrod running, and drive it. Nice to be able to say you saved one from rotting away in some field too! Anyone can pay someone to build a car, so doing it yourself is not only cheaper, but better!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear member

dude. i drive slow in it. u respect them ALOT more when you respect YOUR work. lol. its pretty nice im sure you know the feeling. sure u can lay rubber but you also repect the brused knuckles it took to alow it to do such a thing and u just dont want to hurt it after.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear member

any new updated photos of this man? i think i might look for a used one like u did and fab a standalone box thats better than the factory one and save me some $$

Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

No, no updated pics. It looks pretty much like the last pic, except the bumps where the rivets were are gone.
Here's one starting at $1.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-Q...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by 1971BB427; 01-31-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

I liked my Megashifter when I had my TH400 installed. My wife hated it at first when she drove around but later on started liking it. The only problem was that there was no gear indicator on ours. I was going to do the LED Lokar system in the center of my Covan dash kinda like this one:

Only they have a verticle one instead of a horizontal one so it would look like a modern version of the stock one that goes right between the speedo and tach.

Good job btw, it looks good. I was going to suggest some other leather boots or a nomex one that keeps heat out. That's what I did on my six speed and it has a velcro top on it with a velcro base. I just bought some self adhesive velcro strips and put it on top of my shifter hump all around.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by kyphur
I liked my Megashifter when I had my TH400 installed. My wife hated it at first when she drove around but later on started liking it. The only problem was that there was no gear indicator on ours. I was going to do the LED Lokar system in the center of my Covan dash kinda like this one:

Only they have a verticle one instead of a horizontal one so it would look like a modern version of the stock one that goes right between the speedo and tach.

Good job btw, it looks good. I was going to suggest some other leather boots or a nomex one that keeps heat out. That's what I did on my six speed and it has a velcro top on it with a velcro base. I just bought some self adhesive velcro strips and put it on top of my shifter hump all around.
Thanks Kyphur! Not really any need to keep heat out, as the only penetration is the cable, and it went through the stock grommet for the original. I have a shift indicator in the dash panel, but it's not hooked to the B&M yet. I'm not sure I'll bother, as I'm the only person who drives it, and I probably haven't looked at that indicator in 30 plus years!
I thought about putting one on top of the custom enclosure I made, but it might look ugly, unless somebody else does it!

Quick Reply: B&M shifter boot