Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010 | 05:50 PM
|
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default B&M shifter boot

Finally got a break in the weather today, so I scrambled out to the garage and installed the B&M Megashifter. Everything went super easy, but it did take a lot of demolition to get things ready for the install. The entire console had to come out, but before I could do that I had to situate the shifter in the opening to see how it fit.
Once the console was out I drilled some mounting holes and then shimmed up one side so the curve of the tranny tunnel wouldn't make it sit at an angle. Went through all the adjustment procedures, and it was pretty easy.
The 5 ft. cable I bought to install the shifter was just long enough! Because of the location, and the fact that the shifter cable goes forward from the console, but has to loop around from behind to connect, made it use up every inch of cable by laying the loop on top of the tranny and brining it back around to mount. Might have had a little more open loop if I'd have gone with a 6ft, but then again I might have had extra to try and deal with too.
Took it for a test drive, and I like the way it works in the ratchet mode, but it will take some getting used to. It's got a lot shorter shift than my stock handle, so it's pretty easy to upshift two gears when it's in the normal mode.
Now I need to figure out what to do with the console opening. I bought the B&M boot, but it sits a little low in the opening. Not sure I need a boot at all, as I could just build a new filler plate for the console and edge it with flat rubber to make it fit closely.
Anyone installed one of these B&M Megashifters in a 2nd Gen with a console yet? I'd sure appreciate some ideas before I go chopping up my stock of aluminum sheetmetal!

Old 01-02-2010 | 08:16 PM
|
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Here's a couple pics. The shifter moves a long way from "park" position to "ratchet" shift position. The boot doesn't have enough flexibility to be secured and still travel with the shifter arm.
May need to ditch the boot, as it serves little purpose, and just make a filler plate with a rubber edge like the factory plate, but offset to one side where the shifter is now.

Old 01-02-2010 | 08:42 PM
2nd Gear member

looks great! can i have it?! lol i want a B&M mega shifter like yours but i want the stand alone style so i can ditch my center console.

as for the boot that is kinda of odd.. it almost looks like the wrong boot for the job..? looks like its too narrow for that console opening. if u look at pixs of the camaro ones its wide enough to fill that hole in

Old 01-02-2010 | 09:47 PM
|
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Same shifter either way, just use the box they come with or don't. This is the used one I got for 99 cents on Fleabay, so it didn't come with the box.

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Use a leather boot like what's used for a manual shifter.
And I hate to use the "F" word but...Leather Shift Boot

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-02-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2010 | 12:42 AM
2nd Gear member

OO i see. you didnt get a console made mega shifter. you got a stand alone unit and thats the boot for that unit! i get you. there is a console ready one that has the right boot. that boot looks right for the stand alone box.

you look like your missing the top plate that tells you what gear your in and such. and it looks a little to the left?

Last edited by brownstone101; 01-03-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2010 | 12:46 PM
|
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The stand alone units are for Firebirds, or later 2nd gen Camaros with the Firebird type consoles. B&M (for some reason) never made a unit designed to fit into the console of a early 2nd gen Camaro, so no way to buy a console unit for my car.
Yes, I did puposely install the shifter to the driver's side for two reasons. 1st to keep it within handy reach, so I'm not stretching to get it into the full range. 2nd to line up the cable exit through the floor with the stock rubber grommet, which is offset to the driver's side. Didn't want to punch any extra holes in the floor if I could help it.
If you're not familiar with the B&M shifter, it's like two shifters in one. In the normal mode it can be moved from each position by simply pulling the lever forwards or back. In the picture it's in the "park" position, and when it's in low gear it's straight up.
By pulling the T handle interlock it goes from normal mode to rachet shifter, which means you simply hit the shifter forward and it upshifts a gear, then returns spring loaded to the rear for the next hit. When it's in the ratchet mode it's all the way back, so travel from "park" to rearmost "rachet mode" is a long ways, while travel within each mode is extremely small.
Works really nice, but requires a long range of motion to be able to go from park to ratchet.
The leather boot is a good idea. Can't use the "F" one, as the holes is way too small, but maybe I can have my friend's wife build one. She does auto upholstyery, and I bet she has the tools and material to make that.
As for the indicator...well I don't much care. I don't think I've looked at my stock one for eons. It's just there, and you get used to where the shifter is for each gear without looking.

Old 01-03-2010 | 01:55 PM
2nd Gear member

well damn learned something new. and i know what yeah mean i never look at that shift indicator. my button was a fail for the longest time so i i just forgot about it. i know were to shift and hope it dont get bumped into reverse. fixed it though. and how is the ratchet shift? my dad had one in his 74 firebird and he liked it. you enjoying it?

Old 01-03-2010 | 02:00 PM
|
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Really like the ratchet shift, and the whole setup in general. It's impossible to hit reverse or even neutral without pulling the T handle to unlock those selections. That makes me feel really comfortable while shifting, just knowing I wont be able to over rev or hit reverse!

Old 01-03-2010 | 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

lol and u know how worn out the stock ones get they got too much play and u end up slamming into 2nd at the wrong RPM it always feels like cause it delays too much in all the slop of the shifter. mines got alot of movement if i can get a used B&M megashifter or a new stand alone kit my console is going out the window! i hate it its gonna be nice with new carpet and alot more roomy w.o it

Quick Reply: B&M shifter boot