Automatic stering column shift, neutral switch issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear member

The switch was clearly labeled Park and Neutral.
You can set the switch on the floor and set the slider to park.
The truck will start if you lift up on the shift column.

You can then move the slider off of park and the truck will not
start rather you lift up on the shift column or not.

The neutral saftey switch isnt the issue. At least not at that point.
You don't have to jumper it, you can simply lay it on the floor and
manual move the slider that the column would normally move.

And yes, I didn't jumper the reverse lights when I tried jumpering it.
As I said above you don't have to jumper it to see if it works.

This is really strange, it is more like there is a short in the column
or something. There has to be something else in that column that
powers the neutral switch.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm not familiar with the style of column your truck has, but see if there is an arm at the base of it, in the engine compartment. If yours has that arm, there is/should be a linkage rod that's connected to the trans linkage which pushes that lever all the way up when in park. That mechanism is part of the ignition interlock/neutral safety. Maybe that's out of whack, and lifting the column as you're doing is enough to nudge it up.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I'm not familiar with the style of column your truck has, but see if there is an arm at the base of it, in the engine compartment. If yours has that arm, there is/should be a linkage rod that's connected to the trans linkage which pushes that lever all the way up when in park. That mechanism is part of the ignition interlock/neutral safety. Maybe that's out of whack, and lifting the column as you're doing is enough to nudge it up.
Yes, my truck has that style of rod. It is very easy to adjust. So you think maybe that arm is connected to the ignition. I have tried playing with it but not much.

I will try moving it today and see if I can get some type of response out of it.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear member

That didn't seem to have any effect on it.
I adjusted it as far both directions as I could.

I wouldn't be to worried about it, but I don't remember it doing it
when I bought the truck and it seems to be getting worse. I
don't want to be left stranded because of it.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear member

No other ideas?
This is really strange. It's more like a short in the column or something with the key switch.

I am totally confused.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Sounds as if there is a short in the column its self..........Is it a tilt column? I would pull it down (Apart) as far as you can and check for chaifing in the wiring and even the plug itself for corosion. My 87 had similar issues and I never found the direct cause.......I just did as said and cleaned & checked everything. Once I reassembled it all the issue was gone.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by freak2180
Sounds as if there is a short in the column its self..........Is it a tilt column? I would pull it down (Apart) as far as you can and check for chaifing in the wiring and even the plug itself for corosion. My 87 had similar issues and I never found the direct cause.......I just did as said and cleaned & checked everything. Once I reassembled it all the issue was gone.
It is not a tilt, but this seems to be the only option left.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I know the sw. is labeled, but is it possible the plugs can be swapped? Could some previous owner have done some wiring that might have swapped wires? Have you tried jumpering both plugs to ensure the ones marked neutral and reverse are both correct?
I'm just grasping at straws here at this point.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Overdrive Member

I read most of the thread here and I dont think the neutral switch is the issue. If it is no longer attached to the column and you still have to lift it to start then it is not the issue. The only other thing it could be is the actual ignition switch which is about 1/2 down the column shaft on the top. I am going to guess that there are loose wires or the switch is broken or loose from it's mounts. First off check to see if it wiggles, if so tighten the bolts, if not head to your fav auto part store and buy a new one, they are usually less than $20. OH and tilt and non tilt switches do matter, they look the same but they are 100% different

Massey

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
I read most of the thread here and I dont think the neutral switch is the issue. If it is no longer attached to the column and you still have to lift it to start then it is not the issue. The only other thing it could be is the actual ignition switch which is about 1/2 down the column shaft on the top. I am going to guess that there are loose wires or the switch is broken or loose from it's mounts. First off check to see if it wiggles, if so tighten the bolts, if not head to your fav auto part store and buy a new one, they are usually less than $20. OH and tilt and non tilt switches do matter, they look the same but they are 100% different

Massey
Thank You, I think you have the correct idea. I wasn't sure if there was anything in the column that would matter, but once you said that I remembered that switch.

It will be a few days, but I will pull the column apart and check that out.

Quick Reply: Automatic stering column shift, neutral switch issue.