Arrrr I hate part stores.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Arrrr I hate part stores.

I went to Autozone this morning to get a pilot bushing and oil to fire my motor for the first time. I got, um where does that go. After explaining he had to look it up and then the one he had was steel. Friggin steel? I gave up and paided for it and left. After thinking crap I forgot plugs and gaskets, I went across the street to Advance Auto. I had one of the plugs I used to run back when I was racing and wanted the same one just colder. I show the guy at the counter. "Hmmm NGK 8. I dunno. Can't crossrefeance it". I said well what motor runs a long reach without a projected tip. "Your gonna have to go home and look it up on the internet." So I ran home and looked for awile and couldn't for the life of me remeber the plug numger for the NGK. I looked up a few engine builder and got a Autolight number and refenced that to a AC Delco number. Ran up there and was told that number is no longer used and they can't remeber the new one. So, I settled for the Autolight plug but it has a projected tip.

I bought them anyhow thinking well it should work, I'm not running domes anymore. What happened to going in and sayin "I need valvecover gaskets for a small block chevy?" Now they want to know if it has air, 305 or 350, automatic or manual, and all that. Are you kidding. I miss the speed shop down the road-- BAD.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I know the feeling,i hate going to either one of them.I still cant figure out why it matters if you have a/c or not when you go to buy a brake light bulb haha.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Stupidity and Beyond.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wanta cry every time I go in for parts on the Camaro. I try to tell them the year of the car and even have gotten used to saying the wrong engine when they ask that question, but I'm getting tired of the same old questions when it really doesn't matter what engine I have.
Can't wait until I get going farther on the Austin gasser and have to tell some dork it's a 1946 Austin with a 350 Chevy. That will surely cause an overload.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Droid

Find a shop where the people in the trade get their parts from. Chain stores are OK if you are looking for run of the mill stuff, but the sales help does not have the expertise to find something out of the ordinary. Basically, you get what you pay for, and the store gets the kind of help they pay for.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't go to the parts store for help, I go just to get parts and supplies. Nowadays, most of the guys behind the counter are nothing more than clerks or cashiers.
If I need a part, I look it up on the internet, print it out, take it to the store, and say "here...this is what I want". I haven't f'd up an order yet!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

idk..the Advance by me has a couple guys with brains in there..so when I do go there I make sure I get the same guys every time. They pretty much know me by name so they understand when I would ask for stuff..and the one kid knows alot and is very helpful. Few and far between it seems.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I don't go to the parts store for help, I go just to get parts and supplies. Nowadays, most of the guys behind the counter are nothing more than clerks or cashiers.
If I need a part, I look it up on the internet, print it out, take it to the store, and say "here...this is what I want". I haven't f'd up an order yet!
That's a great idea! Hadn't thought about that for over the counter sales. I mail order a lot, but I'll use your plan the next time I need parts!