Alternator wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Default Alternator wiring question

Hey! When I bought my Camaro, the voltage guage would read 13/14v and just climb as it was driven, eventually causing the battery to leak acid everywhere. I had the alternator tested, and it's fine, but I discovered that the two blade connector that is a part of the voltage regulating system in the alternator wasn't hooked up. Someone pointed me to madelectrical.com, this page to be exact http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...reewire3.shtml . I just want to make sure that I am understanding everything correctly. I traced a bunch of wires around and here is what I discovered:

For a lack of the proper term, there is a rectangular piece of black plastic with screws that have wires connected to them underneath my dash, in the center. These wires connect to all different wire harnesses, guages, switches, and the fuse box. Is this the "Main Power Distribution Junction" described on that site?

Also, underneath my glovebox (it is hard to see, so my description is what I learned through a combiniation of moving my head in positions it probably shouldn't be moving in and feeling around under the dash) there is a roundish item that I believe is a starter solenoid. It seems to have two terminals, one has two wires connected to it that go to the alternator and the battery. The other terminal has four wires connected to it. One goes to the starter, somewhere under the steering column, the MSD box, and what I believe is a relay. It is another roundish component with three terminals. One connects to what I believe is the starter solenoid as I said, the other connects to the fan, and the other connects to the fan switch on my switch panel.

Do you guys think that I have figured everything out properly?

If so, then all I should need is the following kit: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/alt-1.shtml to connect that terminal on the alternator to the junction box under my dash towards the center of the car. Is that correct? Does that kit look good? Alot of people seem to recommend this site, but is that kit too much? Can I get that connector somewhere else and just cut some wire myself?

Thanks in advance for the info!

--Jimmy

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Alternator wiring question

ORIGINAL: Jimbro727

I discovered that the two blade connector that is a part of the voltage regulating system in the alternator wasn't hooked up.

Uh,......................... wouldn't ya just plug in the regulator?

I'm no good at electrical stuff, so I may be missing something.......

Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Alternator wiring question

ORIGINAL: Rand

ORIGINAL: Jimbro727

I discovered that the two blade connector that is a part of the voltage regulating system in the alternator wasn't hooked up.

Uh,......................... wouldn't ya just plug in the regulator?

I'm no good at electrical stuff, so I may be missing something.......
I wish it were that easy! I should have mentioned that the car was rewired and the 350 is nonstock. I haven't found a dangeling connector somewhere, so I assume that whoever wired it (poorly) left that out.. so I need to figure out how to get a connector and wire it myself! Thanks though

--Jimmy