AC Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Default AC Delete

My camaro was originally equipped with AC but I have removed the original equipment and replaced with an AC delete box along with a new heater blower motor. I still have all the original controls and wiring. Does anyone on here have any experience with this situation? I'm trying to determine which wires to connect to the heater blower motor so that it will function correctly, but have alot of extra wires from the original AC equipment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

It is to darned hot here to even think about that....

Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 AM
2nd Gear member

I dont have any pictures to show which ones,but there are 2 wires that go to the blower,if i remember right they both have a spade type connector.Also did you reinstall the resistor and relay?You will need both of those to make it work properly.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM

I did not install the resister or relay. Were these located on the original AC box? This had already been removed when I bought the car, but I have another junk car that I might be able to pull these parts from.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah they are both mounted on the box that is under the hood.The resistor is mounted in the top of the box,there is a plug attached to the top of it,there are 2 screws that are holding it in.The relay is also mounted toward the top,but it is mounted outside the box,with a plug coming from the bottom of it,it should be a bare metal color,but if it's like mine it was just rusty.To mount the resistor in your delete box,you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the new box close to where the blower motor is,but make sure when you put the resistor in that the arms and springs on it do not touch anything inside the box,basically get it as close as you can to the blower so it is in the airflow but like i said it cant touch the blower,the box,or the firewall.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Okay I removed the resister and relay. Looking at the resiter, the springs and arms appear to be about 4" long yet my delete box is probably only 2.5 to 3 inches deep and I'm not sure I have room for the resister. The delete box was purchased from Classic Industires. Is your box about this same size? Also, does the relay need to mount directly on the new box? Thanks alot for all of your help.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm not sure on the box from classic,mine came from a/cdelete.com but i would guess they should be close to the same.Do the arms on your resistor angle to the side or are they straight out?Mine angle which is how they cleared everything.As for the relay,no it doesn't have to mount on the box,just close enough that you can plug it into the harness.I put mine just below the blower right on the firewall and then cut the wiring and extended the plug with new wire that way it was hidden and out of sight,like i said mine is pretty rusty so it is ugly haha.Here is a pic of my box and where i put the resistor,like i said this would only work if your resistor is angled though,so i would hold it up to the side to kinda check for clearance first though.
Name:  acdeletebox-1.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  62.6 KB

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM

The arms of the resister are angled somewhat and I checked it some more last night. I believe I can make it fit, but it will be tight. When I purchased the car, all of this was missing. I bought a new blower motor, it might be for an older car because it has two wires coming out from it (red and black) and does not have the spade connectors. It also does not have the small hose that runs back into the box, but hopefully it will work. I think I understand everying now, but I have a couple extra wires coming form the wiring harness for the heater/ac and not sure what to do with them. I know the two coming from the relay are for the blower motor I would imagine, but there is also another red, black and green I believe coming from the harness. Any idea where these might hook up? Thanks again, you've been a tremendous help.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear member

I know there were a few extra wires coming from my harness that were not used,they went to the round can looking thing,i just zip tied them to the harness and tucked it all down below the delete box where it wouldnt be seen,but they could be cut and taped up as well.On the resistor,your right it will be a really tight fit in there,or at least mine was but since your box is different it may fit a bit different as well,worst case scenario you may need to make some sort of shim to put between the resisitor and box before you put it in to keep it from touching inside,then just use some sort of sealer around the outside edge of it.Also when you put it in,the way i did mine was had it mounted close to the blower,but angled away from it to make sure it didnt hit it.I'll try and see here in a bit to see if i can find what color wires are going where.