79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)

Are you sure it is the correct pump is it identical to the original one?At this point it has to be something with the fuel pump or its connection,did you feel any vacuum over the pump opening where the feed goes inwhen it was turned over?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your not missing anything...sounds like a bad pump..

i hesitate to ask, (not wanting to insult you) but can the lines be put on backwards?..thinking not since the fuel tank line is ususally a slide on....and the carb one is a flare...

New or rebuilt pumps can be bad....It'll suck but sounds like it's gotta come back off....

You can bench check it with it out and see if it'll pump...

with fuel to the pump, the output line disconnected, the rod moving and still not pumping, there is'nt anything else to not work except the pump.....

Greg

There is no better education than a school of hard knocks...
Each failure is a victory for knowledge

Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is a identical pump, andI would happily be mistaken to correct this problem, so lets check.
3 connections on the pump, 2 on 1 side one on the other. The side with the single connection is the output or the connection to the carb. On the opposite side, one draw, one return. One pump connection is big then the other. The large connection is the draw, the smaller is return. I have a hose running from the larger connection right into the gas can.I still have the smaller connection on the pump connected to the smaller line returning to the Camaro tank.
Anything wrong?
What about replacing the fuel rod? Any help. This totally sucks so far -
Thank you for the support you guys

Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

For those interested, here is the original pump. It is a 40777 same as I bought new.

Here is the car involved - not a sweet ride yet, but I have to get it to run.....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

I thought about taking the return line off and trying it but I doubt it would matter, For the heck of it Id try takingthe return lineoff taking the carb line off at the pump and turning it over a few times to see if it would pump out of the can. If it doesnt pull the pump off, I pulled out a cam and micrometered the ecentric(lobe) for the pump shaft and got about 0.4 inches of lift for the fuel pump rod I know you said you felt it move but I didnt know how much. I couldnt find a stock fuel pump rod to measure Ill try to search for a answer. Beyond these items it has to be a bad fuel pump .......5.76" should be stock fuel pump rod length

Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

griff,the fuel pump rod moves that far,i never would have known that.i figured at most would have been 1/8" to1/4" stroke.learn something new everyday.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I can't tell you for sure what it was moving, but it was noticeable enough to say it was over 1/4 each easily. If removing the return line tommorrow does not work, I will tear the pump back off again

Old 01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I pulled the pump - to be continued.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

OK - so it appears AutoZ*ne caused me hours and hours of work and stress by giving me a bad pump.
I now have a new one installed and it pumps the hell out of gas. BUT
The Camaro will not start even with the new fuel supply to the carb. The carb is now receiving gas, but the car will still not start. I have pulled the brand new fuel filter out and tried to start it without it, with no success. If I take a gas can and dump gas in the carb the car will start and roll until it burns off the gas I dumped in. Anybody have a clue why it still will not start?Do you think there is some type of jam between the fuel feed and the carb? Maybe a choke problem even? I amlost at this point, but real happy the pup is really blowing out the gas. For info,the carb is a rebuilt Quadrajet that was previously running just fine.
Thamks a lot for all the help so far, and anymore you have to offer.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when you move the accelerator linkage can you see fuel squirting down the carb.maybe the xcelerator pump is bad.maybe the float is stuck in the off position.try tapping on the carb. with a screwdriver handle in the front area of the carb.you said you pulled the filter,is this a inline filter or the brass filter in the fuel inlet side of the carb.pull the big fitting on the front of the carb and there is usaully a filter behind it,it could be stopped up.

Quick Reply: 79 Z28 fuelpump pushrod dropped (how do I raise it?)