78 camaro too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Default 78 camaro too much power?

So I finally got my dream car. 1978 Z/28 Camaro factory dark blue with T-tops. Needs new paint and a couple little dents pulled and it’s a blue interior so I plan on redoing that black with one of those master kits. The main thing is it was a California field car so it didn’t have an engine when the previous owner found it so they put in a hopped up 400 out of a trans am that puts down a good 430hp+. It’s just a little too much for me right now, the car doesn’t have Posi Trac yet so I’m thinking that might make the difference I need? If Posi trac wouldn’t make a difference with being able to handle the power how to I get it down to a healthy but more handleable hp range? Crazy question but it’s a bit of an issue at the moment hahaha

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Isaac
So I finally got my dream car. 1978 Z/28 Camaro factory dark blue with T-tops. Needs new paint and a couple little dents pulled and it’s a blue interior so I plan on redoing that black with one of those master kits. The main thing is it was a California field car so it didn’t have an engine when the previous owner found it so they put in a hopped up 400 out of a trans am that puts down a good 430hp+. It’s just a little too much for me right now, the car doesn’t have Posi Trac yet so I’m thinking that might make the difference I need? If Posi trac wouldn’t make a difference with being able to handle the power how to I get it down to a healthy but more handleable hp range? Crazy question but it’s a bit of an issue at the moment hahaha
So how do you know it "puts down 430+hp"?
What year Transam 400? Is this a Pontiac engine or a 400 small block Chevy?
What exactly is the problem you are having?
Is the cam too lumpy causing drivability issues or is it just a traction problem?
If it's a big rough idle cam and you are having a problem getting the clutch out (you didn't state if it's a stick or automatic) you may need lower gears, a posi will help with traction but won't make any difference if it's a big cam and too tall gears making it hard to get moving and if you launch hard you'll have to be on top of it because posi can get you sideways real quick if you are spinning your wheels and not ready for it.
Not enough info here to go on,we need to know what the engine is and mods if you can find out, what tranny you have, what rear end and gear ratio it is and just exactly what the problem you are having with it is before we can offer a solution.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K
So how do you know it "puts down 430+hp"?
What year Transam 400? Is this a Pontiac engine or a 400 small block Chevy?
What exactly is the problem you are having?
Is the cam too lumpy causing drivability issues or is it just a traction problem?
If it's a big rough idle cam and you are having a problem getting the clutch out (you didn't state if it's a stick or automatic) you may need lower gears, a posi will help with traction but won't make any difference if it's a big cam and too tall gears making it hard to get moving and if you launch hard you'll have to be on top of it because posi can get you sideways real quick if you are spinning your wheels and not ready for it.
Not enough info here to go on,we need to know what the engine is and mods if you can find out, what tranny you have, what rear end and gear ratio it is and just exactly what the problem you are having with it is before we can offer a solution.
thanks for the reply, it’s an automatic and a 400 Chevy small block (sorry) my problem is that I can’t keep traction it just wants to spin them and go sideways on me with the slightest throttle. I’m not racing it though I’m just using it as a fun daily.

Mods I know of are: cam (don’t remember exactly but it’s a little more than medium but not much) vortec heads, headers, 850 carb (does bind up a touch at stop lights), bored 4 over, I bet there’s more but I’m not sure. I know it’s actually about 500 Because I talked to the guy who built it and he said at least 430 because that’s what it dynod at before a few more mods that Hopped it up more, he wouldn’t doubt it was a touch over 500 now. And I believe him. Feels just like the 1984 Camaro with a 500hp 353 I drove once (dynod right at about 500)

looking back I shoulda just asked what exactly was all in it but I don’t think about it....

Stock rear 3.42 gearing 10bolt

I might just take a fresh rebuilt 327 (similar mods) that puts out 350ish hp that a guy said he’d trade me for the 400 and drop it in instead.....not sure yet....I know it’s a good motor though, would even gave me a warranty.

Hope this helps and is accurate!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Well learn to control your throttle. All else fails take the 400 engine out of the car and put a stock 170 HP engine in the car. There are just those people My friends and I have built for customers .Who are used to driving lesser power car. And when they get into healthy car.They just can`t handle it. I have driven all sorts of very healthy cars .And have a 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring car With a 500 HP supercharged small chevy. When I first driven the car.I just apply the throttle a little at a time until I got used to it. And learned how to control it. I have an advantage over some people because I have had drives training for a CDL license. Maybe some sort of performance driving course might help you.

Attached Thumbnails 78 camaro too much power?-130044932860518017_26257430996_o-1-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Isaac

thanks for the reply, it’s an automatic and a 400 Chevy small block (sorry) my problem is that I can’t keep traction it just wants to spin them and go sideways on me with the slightest throttle. I’m not racing it though I’m just using it as a fun daily.

Mods I know of are: cam (don’t remember exactly but it’s a little more than medium but not much) vortec heads, headers, 850 carb (does bind up a touch at stop lights), bored 4 over, I bet there’s more but I’m not sure. I know it’s actually about 500 Because I talked to the guy who built it and he said at least 430 because that’s what it dynod at before a few more mods that Hopped it up more, he wouldn’t doubt it was a touch over 500 now. And I believe him. Feels just like the 1984 Camaro with a 500hp 353 I drove once (dynod right at about 500)

looking back I shoulda just asked what exactly was all in it but I don’t think about it....

Stock rear 3.42 gearing 10bolt

I might just take a fresh rebuilt 327 (similar mods) that puts out 350ish hp that a guy said he’d trade me for the 400 and drop it in instead.....not sure yet....I know it’s a good motor though, would even gave me a warranty.

Hope this helps and is accurate!
Ok so it sounds like mostly a traction problem, a posi rear will help and you might want to look into some good sticky tires. Tires alone can make a huge difference, with good tires and a posi rear you'll launch instead of spin. Traction bars and sub-frame connectors are other things you might look into.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe , your throttle linkage is sticky, you should not drive it until that is remedied. if your throttle or pedal got stuck turn off the key but not all the way because you must still steer. turn the key off enough for the engine to shut off power steering will NOT be operational but you must NOT lock the wheel to steer. this would be classified as an emergency situation. you do NOT want those on the road to EVER happen. you could sell your motor with a dyno sheet. or dyno the car as well. then buy a gm 350 vortec. but you definitely need positraction. or limited slip differential, its called LSD. ilike both lsd and posi. positraction is a great rear end. it uses clutches to push with both tires. without being completely mechanically locked. this is safety and drivability. traction= SAFETY. as well as performance.
It may be that the engine is very powerful and it sounds as if it has a 5500 stall converter too high really for street.
it also sounds like maybe it was a race car. it also sounds as if it has a spool or slick drag racing tires. and a drag race suspension. maybe you do not sense when the torque is overpowering the tires in your throttle delivery with the pedal. do not give it that throttle. Sell your car if you feel your safety is at risk. or you can change it. you can put a mild engine in it and at least add a limited slip or posi unit. if this car is not controllable don't drive it. it could be broken. sell it to someone on here or we could really find out what the problem is and help you. but you got to try something. taker easy, and be SAFE.

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 07-28-2018 at 10:49 PM.