77 camaro v8 350 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Default RE: 77 camaro v8 350 mpg

I don't even have the car yet!!! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GEAR RATIOS AN ****THE GUY AT THE AUTO RESTORING SHOP IS GONNA HAVE IN IT LIKE WHOLY ****IN ****! I TOLD YOU WHAT I KNOW!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

you need to calm down and stop with the attitude a bit!

if you don't know anything about the car,how the hell do you think we are supposed to be able to help you?

I thought we were all pretty nice to you, trying to help you understand what needs to be known so we can give you an educatedballpark figure, and not just some random guess, because from what you've told us our estimates are pretty exact.and all you do in turn is give us all crap?!?

now, you can go **** in a hat, and I will try to remember your screen name in the future so I don't accidently try to help you out, or educate you on something you might not know about

the first time you had a little attitude, I let it go as a misunderstanding, but after these last two times I'm all done with you

Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree

Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are under the impression that a NEW engine has a major effect on the mileage. It does not. I could site many examples of fuel injected cars that made it to 200K with little or no change to the mileage. But sense we are talking carbs I give you this one.

1984 Old 98 bought New in 84. Every year my Dad would track the mileage on vacation. He documented every trip. The first trip he got 21-23 miles per gallon. In 1989 he got 21-23 every tank with 110K on the engine. No they where not Highway miles he used this car. At 120K the thermostat stuck and he seized the motor. I found an 85 Caddy with the same motor and 6K on it. I got the entire drive line. Installed everything, the next year he got 21-23 miles per gallon.

I owned an 86 Monte SS it has just about the same driveline as the Olds with a tad more compression and slightly larger cam lift and a 383 rear. It got 17-18 MPG the day I got it and the day I sold it with 150K on it.

You have posted none of the information needed to figure out how efficient the car is. You might as well said “Hey I found a classified add for a 77. What color do you think it is?†So I stick to my earlier answer somewhere between 8-20 MPG

Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Just an observation. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, and it seems as though almost every answer 1969SS has to a question is a smart *** answer. He can never just give a staight answer, always some smart *** remark to be made. If you don't have an answer to the question posted, then DON'T ANSWER IT!!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Maybe this'll help you out. I had a '76 stock with the four speed Saginaw running 60s on the back. Keeping my foot out of it on the highway and keeping to the posted limit I would get around 22-23 mpg. In the city and my foot in it, I have not idea as I never tracked it.

Keep in mind, a stock 350 in that car was only 168 hp if memory serves me correctly.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosey3000

Just an observation. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, and it seems as though almost every answer 1969SS has to a question is a smart *** answer. He can never just give a staight answer, always some smart *** remark to be made. If you don't have an answer to the question posted, then DON'T ANSWER IT!!
if you read my first posts, I did try to answer him, and evenwent the extra step to say I wasn't trying to be an *** because he seemed like he didn't knwo much about cars, and might take my answers the wrong way, and I was still trying to help the kid out, even after he copped an attitude.

also, if you've been reading this forum for quite a while, you would notice that I've helped a lot of people out with their problems, whereas a lot of people on here just give guesses and bad advice. there are some great guys on here, that know a lot of stuff,, but there are also some people that give out advice that is just downright dangerous

if you need help, and I know the answer, I will help you 100%. if I am not positive of my answers, I will also let you know that, instead of just guessing and making you think I know so you end up wasting your money on something. if you come off like an ***, I will also let you know it. if you come up with a bad idea, I will also try to help you to figure out why it shouldn't be done instead of just bashing you

and BTW, you come off like an ***![sm=laughat.gif]

Old 03-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Just had to get that last word in there, didn't you 1969 SS. You are right, you have helped a lot of people on this site. Sorry for the misunderstanding!!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Yeah well I was a little rude but it pisses me off.I had stated all I knew, and that I wanted to know if anyone knew about the mpg for this car, from those who gave me posts with rough estimates thanks a lot I appreciate it and to the others, like c'mon I told you what I knew and you still kept asking so wouldn't you be a little upset too? Now if anyone actually wants to talk about this car and the mpg/ how to make it better feel free to post but if not don't even bother.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well the rough estimates everyone gave you were from 5 - mid 20's it seems and that's a pretty wide range guestimate if you ask me. You came off rude from the beginning when all anyone was trying to do was get INFORMATION to help YOU. If it's a brand new engine and transmission I'm sure you can call whoever has the car and they'd be willing to tell you what they're putting in it. Especially if they're trying to sell you the vehicle (you didn't state if you were buying the car or just having new eng and trans put in). The main reason that people kept asking you was so hopefully you would find out the information or just realize that you didn't give them information that you didn't realize you had. Usually when someone asks me a question and I don't know the answer I go and try to find out what it is so I can get a more accurate answer for them so they can better help me.

If you're going to ask a technical question you should be ready to provide specifics so you get a technical answer and not a widely vague answer. I work in a pretty technical field and if I went up to my boss at work and asked a vague question with no specifics and they asked questions to give me a specific answer I'd better go get them. Otherwise I'd be looking for a new job in the morning.

I hope you the best with the car and happy driving.