68 Camaro buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Default 68 Camaro buying advice

Hello,
Im new to the forums and im looking for some advice. Since a kid I was always facinated witht he 1st generation Camaro's, im guessing because my uncle had a 68. I been searching for a camaro in the paper and the internet for about 2 months now. I dont have the cash to buy a fully restored one nor do I have the time or money to get into a huge project. I wanted something that I can do most of my everyday driving (avg 12miles) and upgrade here and there when I have extra cash. This car here appears to meet my criteria. This shop was asking 15995 for it I was able to get it down to $15000. My dad thinks im paying to much I was wanting to get some of you camaro expert opinions :P

1968 Camaro SS Clone
350 small block
Original AC all intact except the compressor needs to be replaced
Guage package in the center console all work as well as the tictoctach gauge
aftermarket am/fm cass sterio with working power antenna
lights/blinkers/wipers/horn all work
interior appears to be in good condition the seats was replaced with some cloth ones
Power steering
Power brakes
auto trans
Paint seems to be in pretty good shape the only imperfection I could find on the body was one small crack in the rear cowl near the base of the rear window
bumpers appear to be in great shape

If I know what im doing here are a few pictures

Old 07-23-2005, 11:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 68 Camaro buying advice

that looks like a nice car. i woull inspect the crack by he rear window and be sure it isn't an awful bondo job. getting some first gen seats would up the value some. the console gauges also ups the value. i would also recommend a back up car for when you are installing new parts on that 68. I have 2 69 camaros and i am always doing something to both of them and neither of them have road worthy in months. (probably my fault though) . if that is what you really what you want then who cares if you pay a little more for it. if you think its worth it to you then i say go for it.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the responce. I guess most of my family dont understand why I would spend 15k on a "old" car. My GF just spent 22k, of course I tell her when shes makes the final payment see what the car is worth then compared to the Camaro.

I plan on driving it for fun for the next 4 years or sooner if I can pay it off faster, I had to get a loan. Meanwhile im going to keep it minor as far as restoration untill I get out of the loan debt. When its paid off and I can afford a cheap drive around car is when I plan on the major body/paint/suspension/motor stuff. Anyways thanks again for the reply it makes me feel a little better. I know they need to make a profit, its hard to get a feel how much these cars are really worth. There is such a random figure on this year car on the net

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 AM

I think the main thing on an old car is the body. Rust is the worst. I'd say if the body is in good shape (no rust or cancer) and the engine is in good running condition the price is not bad.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM

I concure.........that price isn't so outrageous if there isn't a ton of rust on it. By the pics it looks pretty clean. Make sure you check out the trunk pan real good and the floor panss for rot. Good luck, I have a #'s matching 67 that I drive too much!! awsome cars they are!!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 PM

Looks like im gonna find out one way or another now. Although I have been approved for the loan my bank wont loan it untill I have it appraised. So I have a date setup for Wednesday evening, I guess this will be for my benifit as well.....Hope it appraises good, I cant get this car out of my mind!

Old 07-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Appraised at 15500 so I should be good to go unless the bank does something unexpected to me tomorrow. I have to think negative here :P