93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Advice on buying this Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Default Advice on buying this Camaro

I just found a nice '96 RS with 77k miles on it. The dealership is askin about 5,200. I'm a pretty new driver ( Not to be confused with a bad one) but can u haggle at all with a dealership or are there prices pretty much set in stone? and what do u think is a good price for the car. The body seems to be in good shape from the pics.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Advice on buying this Camaro

You can most definitely haggle with the dealership! If they don't, walk away.

Look at http://www.edmunds.com/ and see what you should be paying- don't pay more than that, there are plenty of these cars around to choose from. Typical 06 RS is about $3500, btw. Or $2300 if you buy from a private seller, which I'd recommend. In all cases, you can haggle. AND walk away if you don't like the deal they offer.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear member

I would say those years do go a bit cheaper like grover said, but keep in mind it's a stealership thats selling it.. Also, thats pretty good mileage for that year, so if you like it, try and haggle. They should definately be able to go down on price considering it's a used car. Thats where they make a lot of their commision and whatnot anyway, because they buy them cheaper because they're used. If they won't work with you on the price, you can always find something else cheaper.

That and IMO, RS's look sweet..

Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The mileage sounds nice but I'd try to bring him down a notch on the price and that's probably not including TT&L. Keep us updated.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Car sales have been dropping in the crapper for over four straight months. And that RS is a bit overpriced, even with the lower miles. It's also too early in the month to get the BEST deal at a dealership. The best time to go shopping at a dealer is at the end of the month when the salesman really NEEDS to make a sale before his end of the month quota. If the car is really clean, and you want it, I would hit him with $4,000 "out the door", and don't blink when you tell him you have another one like it but cheaper (give a number) to go look at next. Car salesmen are natural-born bull****ters, so you have to try and be a better one!
A few months ago, I went shopping (second to last day of the month) for a car I found at a dealer through the internet. After looking at it and talking price, the salesman says "our internet pricing is very competitive, we can come down only maybe $200". I said thanks anyway, I'm going to go look at this one tomorrow and it's just like yours, but quite a bit cheaper. I also had a print ad from the paper to show him the car. What do you know, now they were able to come down $900 to keep me! By the way, their price was a good deal originally, but the other one I found was even better, and I was able to use it to my advantage. And they knew that if I walked, with tomorrow being the last day of the month, there's a good chance I wouldn't be back. I had them bent over a barrel, and I squeezed hard. It's all in the poker-face!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Ok that really helped a lot with the end of the month quota thing, " Car salesmen are natural bull****ers. You just have to be better one" love it

Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM

ok i just went to the dealership to take a look. The car exterior wise is not great not terrible though. Its got a large scape on the fender. Fixable with paint. also the headlights had some sort of wierd rusty sun damage. Fixable, i think. and the side mirrors had sun damage. Once again fixable. The big problem is the seats. Yea the seats. Im like 5,6 and cannot really see over the hood and tried getting the seat up as high as possible. Is there any way in hell to get teh seat higher besides back and forth. Also its got no like power windows, or anythin like that. I can deal with that though.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How much did you talk him down? You should be able to see over the hood at 5'6.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Considering their asking price, that car should be in a lot better shape than what it sounds like...almost perfect. If it had electric seats, they would rise as well, but manual ones don't. I guess you could sit on a phone book! And if they don't come down one hell of a lot on the price, I would keep looking.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
4th Gear Member

Thats a pretty fair price considering they go for close to 7,000 KBB.. You may get them to drop it a couple hundred but dont expect miracles because they have to make money on the deal too.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying this Camaro