1981 With 350 - Cuts Out & Dies When Warmed Up Then No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Default 1981 With 350 - Cuts Out & Dies When Warmed Up Then No Crank

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help diagnosing 1 or more issues with my 1981 - thanks in advance.

Brief Car History: It's an 81 Belrinetta with a 4 bolt 350, Holley carb, Muncie 4 speed, mild cam. Was redone in the late 90s or early 2000s by a reputable guy and my family bought it around 05 or 06. For the first 5 years or so the maintenance was kept up with and it was driven regularly. After that it would do a lot of sitting with intermittent maintenance and driving. Most recently it's been mostly sitting from about 2016 until now (with some start ups in that time but not really any maintenance). At this point it's a little rough around the edges and needs a lot of cosmetics, but I'm trying to get it 100% reliable and driveable and then do the little stuff as I have time.

Symptoms: A couple of weeks ago I started it up, seemed to be running fairly well but with a little bit of lag/inconsistency between the gas pedal and the engine (some lagging, bogging, getting more or less gas than it should). Then after being in 4th gear and pressing the clutch as I slowed down to pull into the car wash it completely cut out. I coasted into the car wash and figured the carb needs adjustment and it might just be a fluke. I washed the car and then after starting it up and driving away within about 2 minutes it was running terrible, dying at idle, bogging/revving when it shouldnt. I got it into my neighborhood and then would get like 15 seconds at a time before it died out. It would generally restart and run for about 15 seconds then die. I eventually got it home and a few poeple who I talked to said it sounds like a fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter or something along those lines.

So yesterday I replaced the fuel pump, 2 of the rubber fuel lines, and cleaned out the fuel filter. It started up great, ran fantastic for about 15 minutes, then once again cut out when I put it in neutral and acted basically the same as it did last time. Except this time, one time it died out and wouldn't restart at all. Lights on the dash work, but zero crank or anything. Luckily I got it close to home and had to pull it the rest of the way with my Jeep.

So that's where I'm at now. I know I need to do plugs and wires, adjust the timing, adjust the carbs etc. but I'd like to fix whatever the main issue right now is first (but maybe it is one of those?). I haven't tried to start it again today, I'll probably go out in a few minutes and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Might have water and junk in the gas tank from sitting,carb may need rebuilt.
Any other rubber gas lines not replaced? Could be one collapsing inside it'self.
Cleaned out filter? Maybe it needs a new one?
Is the choke pull off working? Assuming it's not a manual choke,I've had those symptoms with a choke sticking shut but it's more common with a Q-jet.
Zero crank? you mean zero fire or is the starter motor not turning the engine over?
If the starter isn't turning the engine over it may be an electrical problem not a gas problem.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Carb needing rebuilt is definitely possible. Tank was close to empty when sitting and I filled up with fresh gas right away, and you can see the fuel going through the fuel filter and it looks clean so I don't think it's that.

Any other rubber gas lines not replaced? Could be one collapsing inside it'self.
There is one more line I could replace, that's possible but I am seeing gas flow through the filter and it runs great for the first 15 minutes or so. But for how easy and cheap it is to replace that's a good idea I'll probably try it.

I should have specified, it's not the disposable paper one it's a plastic mesh inside a glass tube so it is reusable when cleaned.

Is the choke pull off working? Assuming it's not a manual choke,I've had those symptoms with a choke sticking shut but it's more common with a Q-jet.
This is possible, I'm not a carb expert so I can't say for sure, I should probably have someone more knowledgeable check it out.

Zero crank? you mean zero fire or is the starter motor not turning the engine over?
If the starter isn't turning the engine over it may be an electrical problem not a gas problem.
Yea zero crank, no truning over. Not sure if it's just a seperate issue and coincidence or part of the same problem. Is there a common electrical issue that could cause all of this?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Carb needing rebuilt is definitely possible. Gas tank was almost empty while sitting and I did fill up with fresh gas right away so I think this is less likely.
Yes one other I can replace, for how easy and cheap it is it's worth a try.
I should have specified, it's not the disposable paper filter it's a plastic mesh filter inside a glass tube that's meant to be reusable when cleaned. Looks fine and has flow.
This is possible, I'm not a carb expert and I probably need to have someone more knowledgeable look the carb over.
Yea no crank at all, starter is not turning the motor over. Is there a common electrical issue that could cause all of these symptoms?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:42 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Max_Jetz

Yea no crank at all, starter is not turning the motor over. Is there a common electrical issue that could cause all of these symptoms?

Thanks.
Yes indeed,a bad ground and or bad battery cables etc.
If the battery cables are old I'd just replace them both but in the meantime you could take them off on both ends and do a good cleaning of the connections even if they don't look dirty,I like to use a wire brush to make everything shiny.
Make sure there's no loose connections,it's a bit of a PITA on the starter end but make sure all wires there are clean and tight.
Also check the connections at the alternator,this could all be as simple as a loose connection somewhere but a good going through of them all is a good idea.
Corrosion sets in when I car sits like yours has,it can be almost invisible just taking the cable loose and looking at it so clean them anyway,you can use electrical cleaner in a spray can to remove it but I'd still wire brush it all.
I've seen people chase a problem like that and replace the starter,alternator and battery only to find out it was just a bad battery cable.
Good luck!