1970 camaro in body shop need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Default 1970 camaro in body shop need advice

im decided to put my 70 RS in the shop

cortez peal blue is my color of choice made by house of colors

my question is the car isnt an RS and there is no such thing as an RS stripe kit .. i have seen only z28 with the stripe kit...

thus would you put a z28 stripe kit on an RS camaro that isnt a z28? or simply just bypass the stripes all together and do a pin stripe down the side or something?

RS is just an option for the 70 camaro and never had any stencil kit just think z28 owners would say hey you dont have the z28 emblems etc why use the z28 stripes if it aint a z28...

please give me advice thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 AM

I would go with 2 white stripes over the top. ( or Black )

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

it may sound corny but do what makes you happy. It's your car, not a z28 owner that will see it at a car show once or twice a year. you're the one that will have to walk into the garage and look at it everyday. If you like the z28 stripes then go for it!! if you did do 2 stripes over the top an rs owner wont go up to you and say, hey that car never came in that color blue and they never had those stripes so what's the difference?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mr.blue
it may sound corny but do what makes you happy. It's your car, not a z28 owner that will see it at a car show once or twice a year. you're the one that will have to walk into the garage and look at it everyday. If you like the z28 stripes then go for it!! if you did do 2 stripes over the top an rs owner wont go up to you and say, hey that car never came in that color blue and they never had those stripes so what's the difference?

Well the car is a basic coupe RS camaro with a 10 bolt rear end, i am not sold on the z28 stripes i think they look nice but they look nice on z28. The 70 isnt my favorite car and my wife doesnt like the 7o that much she says it looks like a shark but thats because i have a 67 and a 68 in the garage so the 70 stays outside in the drive way.

im not crazy about the stripes maybe a hockey stripe on the side or something that is 70ish from when i was a kid .. thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Somehow over the years the parallel stripes have become known as "Z28 stripes", because almost every Z28 had them. But they were also on the SS models, and the RS if you ordered that paint option.
An RS is perfectly normal with parallel stripes, and nobody would think you're trying to clone a Z28 by doing so on a 2nd Gen Camaro.
DO NOT run them over the top as that would not only look stupid, it wouldn't look Chevrolet. Fords ran their stripes over the top, and if you want it to look like a Mustang clone, then run them over the roof.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ohhh so you're just trying to find something that looks good?

hmm yea i'd definitely go with the 2 stripes. or, i have kind of started to like the 2 parallel stripes going from the edge of the hood diagonally to the wheel well.

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_RjG5eL6b8I/Tafu31QNlZI/AAAAAAAAAI8/yQD-olfNEQ8/s1600/2011-GeigerCars-Chevrolet-Camaro-Super-Sport-HP-564-Front-And-Side-2-1280x960.jpg

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

Hell no on a pin stripe. Muscle car just did this whole thing. Knowing they didn't come on their car, which was trying to be period correct. They were an option and I'd bet as soon as some owners got theirs they took them back to have the dealer put them on.

Personally I think our cars can hold their own without any stripes at all. No matter what you wife says, lol. Seriously put the white ones on there or maybe ghost stripes or possibly an off color stripe as long as it doesn't look out of place or tacky. I don't know what cortez blue is so no recommendations here. Maybe flames in the stripe or something other like a fading checkered pattern.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Somehow over the years the parallel stripes have become known as "Z28 stripes", because almost every Z28 had them. But they were also on the SS models, and the RS if you ordered that paint option.
An RS is perfectly normal with parallel stripes, and nobody would think you're trying to clone a Z28 by doing so on a 2nd Gen Camaro.
DO NOT run them over the top as that would not only look stupid, it wouldn't look Chevrolet. Fords ran their stripes over the top, and if you want it to look like a Mustang clone, then run them over the roof.
Are you sure about that? I thought you could only order them on a Z28

Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Bamaro
Are you sure about that? I thought you could only order them on a Z28
Not sure on the RS, unless it was a Z28 with RS option, then I'm sure. But I seem to remember a lot of SS Camaros with stripes back when they were new. (yes, I'm that old) Big block SS cars never had stripes, but had the blacked out tail panel.
But maybe my memory is failing me, or I'm just plain wrong.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Overdrive Member

I think the were probably dealer installed Vall. BTW one "L" or two? Its been buggin me.

Quick Reply: 1970 camaro in body shop need advice