Suspension / ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Default Suspension / ride

I recently bought a 69 SS that went under an average guys 20 year rebuild( he owned and had it in pieces in his garage for over 20 years). He hired out the engine,body work and paint but did some sloppy finish work. Everything is here or i have already bought the replacement part ( mostly interior).
I am reasonably handy and can figure out how to install most of the new parts although there are clearly time saving techniques i am not aware of. Lol

she has a 350 (500 hp, not original but i have the original block), 3 inch exhaust,headers ( a little loud for me), 12 bolt w posi, m22,hurst shifter, 4 core aluminum radiator, edelbrock hi-rise intake, edelbrock 750 carb. And air filter.

There have only been a couple hundred miles on the car since it was rebuilt.

The paint is pretty good, not my favorite color and penn striping ( kind of starsky and hutch) but only a few chips and for a few hundred my painter can cherry it out, so i am going to keep the paint (base coat/clear coat).

Car is very clean underneath,new interior,new trunk pan,complete floor pans, i have replaced all the chrome that either wasn't replaced or showed some wear.

This car seems to have everything i was looking for and has been restored, but the guys that worked on it were probably ready to be done with the project and cut a few corners at the end.
For example, engine is tight and clearly new, but it isn't dialed in. I plan to put it on a local dyno and take care of that problem.
Door handles were are loose (fixed) console gagues are not installed.no seatbelts or radio. Crappy steering wheel (replaced) windshield trim dented and too much adhesive on glass....
My biggest issue and question is about the ride and handleing!!!!!

The shocks were original and in bad shape, i replaced with 4 new gas shocks.
I bought coil springs but did not put them in yet,i am trying to decide if she needs them.
If the coil and lief springs are original, should i replace them just because or keep them if they are not too sloppy?????
It appears that most the bushings,ball joints etc have been replaced (i will check thoroughly and add more specifics later)and the car drives straight, but it kind of floats up and down, occasionally bottoming out and although steering is responsive, the car feels a bit sloppy overall.

I guess my question is, am i expecting too much or can a 69 camaro drive and handle like ???? I hoped it would lol.

I have restored several early 60's cadi's, lincoln and riviera's.
They are bigger and heavier, but seem to feel tighter than my camaro.

Any suggestions on adding a lief or do i need to replace the entire set?
Coil springs, does it make a noticable difference?

Drivers seat is newly covered but sags to outside.ideas?

Oh yeah, it has a console, but i am thinking about taking it out,
it is in perfect shape except the 4 gague cluster is not installed, but it interferes with my shifting and at minimum needs to be re-positioned slightly. Looks like a lot of work to get the front bolts out.
Any opinions about console or no console on 4 speed cars?
(sorry to be so wordy, but i am a first timer lol and am trying to be excited and love this car but worried i might not ever get her to be what i have always dreamed of).

Last edited by matchbox69; 03-08-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typo's