Sudden "No-Crank" situation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Sudden "No-Crank" situation?

I have a '67 Camaro coupe with the 327-4bbl engine and Muncie-21 4-speed manual transmission. It was running fine just the other day when I parked it. Today, however, I went to start it and now all I get is a "click" from a relay that is mounted (along with two others) under the front driver's side fender.

The engine doesn't crank at all; but, the battery is fully charged and tests OK. It's acting like a neutral safety switch is in there somewhere, blocking the crank condition... although I've been unable to locate any such switch (if one even exists).

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Droid

Bad starter, bad solenoid, bad battery cable or connection, bad battery. I am not very familiar with cars that old (can't remember that far back, lol) but what I listed are the usual culprits. There is no neutral safety switch in manual boxes.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like the bendix gear might be stuck in the out position (bad solenoid, or the gears are a wedge fit). Check with a volt meter to make sure you have power at the "start" terminal on the starter solenoid, when turning the key to the start position. If so, look at the starter as the possible problem. Could also be a bad positive connection at the battery or starter, or at a ground cable.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks to you guys for your suggestions! As it turned-out, there was no voltage to the solenoid, coming from the ignition switch solenoid wire. I traced that wire from the solenoid all the way back to the ignition switch, with good continuity... that is, until I was about 36" away from the switch. Then, I suddenly lost continuity from that point onward and up to the switch. What makes this all the stranger is that this last 3-feet of wire was still securely factory-taped, along with many others, in the fatory harness. No signs of wear or tampering was evident, but regardless, there was still apparently an "open" in there somewhere.

My "fix" was to cut-off the solenoid wire as it came off the back of the ignition switch, and to splice-in a new wire from that point and then run it all the way down to just prior to the fusebox, cutting-out the offending wire there as well. I suppose you could literally say that I had performed a "bypass" operation of sorts. Once I'd done that, the car now starts again without any problems whatsoever!

I'll never know why that wire was "open" in that particular segment of the harness... but at least the problem has now been eliminated.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the advice, but as noted above, it turned out to be an "open" in the original wiring harness, that connected the "start" position of the ignition switch to the starter. A 3-foot-long bypass wire from the switch to a known good point in the circuit eliminated the open section, and, the resulting problem...