LS3 with DSE front suspension

Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Default LS3 with DSE front suspension

Looking for advice...

I finally decided last year to bite the bullet and go thru my '67 Camaro. It's been sitting for years - It was a Missouri car so body cancer was an issue...

I'm in the process of getting parts together and hitting some bumps in the road. I have ordered the motor (LS3 515hp) and the DSE front suspension - DSE has been great to deal with but they are telling me in order to use the stock oil pan I will need to use their headers... $2230(!) So what's everyone doing, using LS1 pans? I like quality but $2200 headers are not happening! Thanks!

As of Oct..
Completely gutted car
Replaced floor pan, Trunk pan, both rear quarters- what a pain!
DSE mini tub with quadra link
Rushforth 18" Live Wires on the way with Nitto 555's
Got a great deal on a GM19171225 crate
9" is waiting on the wheels for narrowing and QL brackets
Baer Brakes on the way

Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Sorry KenC i had search a lot for these problem you are facing right now but all goes vain there is nothing cheaper than these,but i am still trying as i will get any solution i will let you know about that well while surfing the net i got an very interesting thing which will surely increase the performance of your dream car and the information is
HYDROFORMED SUBFRAME
Detroit Speed’s all new front subframe is a bolt-in replacement for the original stock subframe. It improves the handling and ride quality by utilizing DSE’s unique suspension geometry. It is the ONLY subframe in the aftermarket industry with hydroformed frame rails. The hydroformed frame rails feature strength and stiffness, precise quality and repeatability. Hydroforming preserves the steel’s strength and stiffness because it is performed at low temperatures, unlike traditional high temperature processes which decrease material strength.
The subframe comes complete with the following components:
• Hydroformed Framerails
• Stamped Crossmembers
• Tubular Upper and Lower Control Arms
• Coilover Shocks for Subframe with "Detroit
Tuned" valving

• Coilover Spring
• Power Rack and Pinion Steering
• Splined Sway Bar
• C6 Steering Knuckles and Bearing Packs
Up to a 10" wide wheel can be packaged without modification to the inner wheel wells. Both the main and secondary crossmembers are stamped for structural rigidity. SBC, BBC, LS1, LS2, and LS7 engines have been designed as a direct bolt-in into this subframe.
The DSE subframe has been designed, engineered, and developed for the road and track. This subframe blends the benefits of current OEM technology and aftermarket performance into one product!
The subframe is available uncoated and unassembled for your SBC, BBC, or LSX engines. We also offer the subframe powdercoated satin black and assembled.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 AM

I already have the subframe and LS I just am waiting to install it. I'm still working on the Quadralink at this time (waiting on the rearend to get narrowed) and will tackle the firewall next I just wanted to have the header issue lined out before I got to it. - Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't have the DSE subframe, but do have an LS3 with stock subframe. I learned when getting parts for the swap, that each company's motor mounts require a certain set of headers and oil pan depending on who makes it. I went with BRP's mounts and headers which required me to go with the Hummer LH8 oil pan... But the headers were only ~$800. Did the DSE subframe come with LS style motor mounts? I'm willing to bet that there are probably a cheaper set of headers that will work out there, but who knows which ones. Maybe some shorties instead of long tubes. Personally, I almost which I went with the stock exhaust manifolds just to make the car that much more quiet. But that's just me...

derrick

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM

You're dead on - At this time I have about decided to go with Edelbrocks conversion set up part # 6759. I don't care to much for the coating they use but it's a complete set up for $1200 and I know of a guy locally that used it and he said it went on ptetty much trouble free and I'm all for that. I still will have to go with the oil pan swap but that's life!

Right now I'm smoothing the firewall, it'll be a few weeks before I get the suspension under the car, I just want to be ready when the time comes instead of having try to get the combo right when the time comes! Thanks for the info!

One more thing - did you go fuel injected on you ls?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I don'n have the DSE, but have the TCI front clip, and I went with MASTPerformance for the headers........ceramic coated, have a 1 7/8” primary tube and sell for $709.00 plus freight.

And I will think that the LSX 454 headers are a little hard to find than LS heads headers. Not sure, but I think the LSX heads have a different bolt set up, again, not sure.

Mine is a 69 Camaro

Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM

I have done two of these camaro's and have gotten alot of help from Street and Performance www.hotrodlane.cc If Mark is still there I would talk with him. He has a lot of knowledge on these camaro builds. I have gotten my oil pans and headers from them.

Bill