Front suspension

Old 05-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Default Front suspension

i have a 69 and when i drive it, it seems to go where it wants to. the power steering works fine but the steering if very sensitive. would rebuilding the front suspension fix the sensitivity and tighten the steering back up, or is it just because of the age of the car?

Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Front suspension

don't really understand your question? if it goes where you want, what is your issue? what do you mean by sensitive because that is usually a very good thing?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:32 PM

when i say sensitive, i meanits like the steering is loose, but it goes. the steering wheel is too easy to turn, like i could take my finger and spin it round and round while going down the road.some cars have a little play in the steering, thats what it feels like, and i was wanting to know if rebuilding the front suspension if it would fix it, or does it need something else. if anyone knows what im trying to explain, please help me out here. by the way, im a new member so hello to everyone.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member

my camaro has the same problem, i have replaced the coils uper and lower ball joints but it is still lose the guys at les schawb said i need to replace the iner and outer tyrods drag link,and what ever else has to do with my steering. so that could be what is wrong with your car to. if you can make your tyrods move with your hand you need to replace it. go to ecklers camaro.com they have what you need for a lot cheaper than yearone or classic industries. or go to PST.com they have the right stuff for your car. hope i was any help good luck with the car.

get some pics of that beast on here.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:38 PM

thanks for the info, i'll make sure to check everything, thanks again

Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear member

hows the suspension coming any up dates

Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM

No, not yet. it's in the body shop. I'm getting the quarters replaced and inner fenderwells, and some other small stuff.it should be out by this Friday or Saturday, though it's been a month and a half since put it in there. im gettin my license wed. so it'll be about time i get it back. then we'll work on gettin the steering fixed. My dad thinks it might be the tires though, you think that might have something to do with it?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear member

ya i could be the tires, how old are they and how much tread do they have. one way to see if itsthe tires is to roatate them and see if it pulls a diffrent way,

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It depends on what you're feeling. If cruising down the road and you feel like it's following the road, then it could be tires. If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel before the front wheels actually start to turn, then it's wear in the front suspension. Or, if you accelerate and the front end wants to dance around, it's worn suspension. Considering the age of the car, your suspension components are the more likely culprit.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM

well my tires are as old as the hills, plus i can't just rotate them around because i have wider wheels on the back. but when my dad was droppin it off at the body shop, he passed a dude mowing his lawn. he ran over some grass in the road and we he did he said it kinda swirved a little or something like that. like the car lost control for a second. the back tires look alright though. so when we get the car back, we'll put new tires on the front and go from there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front suspension