Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Front suspension

ya give that a try,let me recomend BFG Radial T/A's they are a awsome tire not to mention they look great on 1st gen camaros.what brand do you have on there right know.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 PM

i have no clue about the front, but Turbo-Plus Radial GT's on the back. actually those BFG's are the one's i was going to look at getting, either those with white lettering, or soom Goodyears with white lettering.
i added a pic of my back wheel, my motor, and my car.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM

sorry the pics are so big man, i tried to shrink em down, but as you can see it didn't work

Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Engine looks real nice. The rest of the car will probably keep you busy for a few weekends. Sure looks like there's a bit-o-bondo packed up on that lower rear quarter panel too. I wonder what's under it?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM

dude i know, that's why it's in the body shop. one of the quartersis done, the driver side, but the other is still being worked on.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear member

shoot whantto do my car next i have lots of bondo and i need both rear corner panels, ya go for the BFG's

Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 PM

well i didn't get the BFG's, i got some Masterpiece Avenger GT's, some off brand i guess. the steering is alot better now. plus my quarters are fixed.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Default Questions about my loose stearing

This is a great thread since I have a similar situation. I just got a mostly original 1969 camaro that drives like a boat. I really enjoyed the info from Camaro 69 quoted "If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel before the front wheels actually start to turn, then it's wear in the front suspension. Or, if you accelerate and the front end wants to dance around, it's worn suspension." I could use some advice and input please...

I got some new tires for my rims, 235/60/15 in the front and 275/60/15 in the rears. So that issue is solved, one old one was lumpy.

When I drive down the highway I have to correct the wheel all the time. It floats around like a boat, not tight at all. Nowhere close to what my 2005 Trailblazer is like.

I tightened the steering box bolt, drove it, then let it out alittle so that it doesnt cause friciton. So I dont think its that. Do you agree?

When i accelerate the front end does dance around. I grabbed the tie rods and I am able to move them around in my hand. The driver side more than the passenger. All the other parts that are conneced seem tight to me. So I think I shoud change them out? Do you agree?

Should I also replace all the bearings in the front?

I also just noticed that the bottom bushing on the front right shock is missing! thats right missing! I can grab the shock and wiggle it around! The driver side bushings are wearing out, so I think I will replace the front shocks right away. Do you agree?

I am wanting to do some autocross/touring in the future with this car, but, want to keep my new tire size/rims for a while.

What else can I do to give it a good suspension with a good bang for my buck?? Ideas please??

PS. how do you upload pics for this thread?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I would replace the tie rods, if original replace all four of them.
You may also want to replace the adjusting sleeves at that point.
And definitely replace the shocks. The wheel bearings are probably OK.
Finish that and see how she rides. One step at a time.

I did the IROC steering box upgrade on my 69 and it made a huge difference
(got a used box from a 1989 IROC Camaro - fast ratio, very tight).
So, I would highly recommend that for you at some point in the future.

Thinking autocross now, you will also want better control arm bushings- either poly or delrin(expensive).
Or even tubular arms(if you have the bucks$$$ to spend).
Also, you will want a beefier front sway bar and stiffer coil springs.

Last edited by 77thor; 10-20-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

After four and a half years (the age of this thread) I sure hope he fixed it by now.
Tank, please look at the post dates before adding to it. And I thought the other one you unearthed was old!!!

Quick Reply: Front suspension