fuel gauge troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default fuel gauge troubles

Hi i have a 68 camaro convertable and i am having a problem with my fuel gauge. I have a battery disconnect connected to the positive battery terminal and my fuel gauge is reading way over full at about 3 o'clock.
What can be causing this?
Even disconnecting the cut off doesnt return it to its normal reading.
any ideas.

Thanks
Ted

Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I would start by checking the ohm reading from the sending unit in the tank. Is the gauge in the dash or console? If it is in the dash look at the printed circut board, If it's in the console check the ground wire. If that all checks ok then it's your gauge. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If your gauge isn't returning to empty with no power to it, the gauge is the problem. To test the circuit with the battery connected (and with a good gas gauge), remove the gauge wire at the sending unit (should be a tan wire), the gauge should peg past full. And if you ground that wire out, the needle should go all the way down to empty.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Camaro 69,

I did a boo boo when I got my fuel cell and hooked the sending unit wires up backwards... Ok, you don't know how bad I hate to admit that...

Anyway, my guage is also at 3 o'clock, even when the battery is disconnected and even the sending unit...

Soo.... I'm going to assume I've messed up my guage... great. Is there anyway to test my sending unit to see if I messed that up too?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I take it you don't really have a full tank?
Troubleshoot Fuel Gauge

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I take it you don't really have a full tank?
Troubleshoot Fuel Gauge
No, actually it's dry as a bone...

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out now.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

another question about the fuel gauge on my 68 there is a tan 18 gauge wire appx. coming from the sending unit going up into the harness from the trunk area to the front.
i checked the wiring diagrams and see that this wire goes to a block and then i dont see how it gets to the fuel gauge. can anybody let me know if it changes colors or where does it go from the terminal block. i changed my fuel gauge to a working one but it stills goes up to 3 oclock. !!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by southw2
another question about the fuel gauge on my 68 there is a tan 18 gauge wire appx. coming from the sending unit going up into the harness from the trunk area to the front.
i checked the wiring diagrams and see that this wire goes to a block and then i dont see how it gets to the fuel gauge. can anybody let me know if it changes colors or where does it go from the terminal block. i changed my fuel gauge to a working one but it stills goes up to 3 oclock. !!!!!!!
Sorry I can't help you with the color of the wire going to the fuel gauge, but something I read elsewhere awhile back somewhere said that issues with the instrument gauges, including the fuel gauge can be attributed to no ground from the instrument cluster to the body of the car. When I popped out my instrument cluster I found the ground just dangling. Something to look at anyway.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM

where is the ground that goes to the body of the car to the cluster, I should say were in the cluster does a ground wire goes to the body of the car? i just see the harness that goes to the cluster. is that ground in the that harness or is it a separate grown wire? im working on it now and cant find that ground. i think thats my problem to my fuel gauge

Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by djchino4
where is the ground that goes to the body of the car to the cluster, I should say were in the cluster does a ground wire goes to the body of the car? i just see the harness that goes to the cluster. is that ground in the that harness or is it a separate grown wire? im working on it now and cant find that ground. i think thats my problem to my fuel gauge
Hope this helps

How to fix your dash lights - step by step - Team Camaro Tech

Last edited by StoveBolts; 06-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge troubles