buying a 67 and need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Default buying a 67 and need help

Hey Folks,

Need some (lots) of help!!

I am a C1 corvette guy, but going to look at a 67 396 car tomorrow and am likely going to pick it up. I have a bunch of questions that I just have no clue on and am hoping y'all can help me out:

-The car is a 396 car, but has a NOM - there are 2 castings I found for 67 396s and was wondering if there were cut off dates for these cars or if it was dependent on where it was built. This car is a Los Angeles car and was built in April 67.

-car is also a 4 speed car, but has a mid-70s tranny in it. Were there different trans used during this year (M20, M21, M22) or were all of the 4 speeds M20s?

-With vettes, numbers-matching is a big deal - is this now or becoming the case with camaros as well? If I wanted to get correct casting #s/dates for the stuff that is not correct to the car, is there any component that is not readily available? Any items that are just obnoxiously priced (like they are with Vettes!!)?

-The car seems pretty complete, but needs the interior done. Any areas that I should be looking at/parts that are impossible to find or are expensive that would be a big deal to find?

-As far as "problem areas" on these cars, I wouldn't know where to look. Are there rust areas or other things I need to look out for?

-Is there anything else you would recommend I ask about or look for??

Thanks in advance for your help - this car is intended to be a project for my and my daughter so I will be a regular if we wind up picking it up.

Thanks again!!!