Powerglide repalced with 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Powerglide repalced with 700r4

I had a 700r4 put into my 68 to replace the old Powerglide.
Transmission guy installed it and did the mods on the drive shaft etc.

Shifts are good. Happy with the new 700r4 but I have a couple of Qs:

To make a long story short, I have a 327 with Holley 457S carb in front of the 700r4. From everything I've read, it is CRITICAL to use the correct Holley Throttle lever bracket (Holley 20-121) when connecting it to a 700r4. When I got my car back, it did not have this bracket. The builder/installer connected the TV cable to the same point as the old Powerglide kick down lever (with teh correct stud) And of course he used the correct cable mounting bracket that attaches to the rear left bolt of the carb. As I said, I had no problem with the way the Transmission was set up and was shifting this way.

But the more I read the more I was convinced I needed to use the special Holley bracket. I bought one and installed it and I very carefully adjusted the TV cable based on the MILLION posts I found using Google. I can recite the procedure in my sleep.

Anyway, (with the Holley bracket) test driving the car I found the shift points to be higher than the original tranny builders' set up.

Here is what I got:
1 to 2 shift between 13 and 17 mph
2 to 3 between 28 and 34 mph
3 to 4th almost always at 50 mph (sometimes a little higher).

This is on steady acceleration...not heavy and not light.

Are these good shift points?

The 1-2 and2 -3 shifts are strong, but not abrupt. 3 to 4 is little light.

These are definitely longer than the original shift points. I find the transmission wants to hold on to the gear longer than I am used to....but all in all it is not uncomfortable. (I'm not sure what "correct" feels like on these transmission.)

I am however, more comfortable with the original shift points ..BUT...I do not want to go without the specially Holley throttle bracket as I have been warned this could damage the transmission.

My objective is not to do any damage to the tranny. I'm not concerned about altering shift point IF they are "acceptable".

What should I do? If my new shift points are within reason and within spec..then I will be happy to stay with the bracket I installed.

Vic

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As long as you're using the recommended linkage, sleep easy. Using the correct linkage keeps the geometry where it's supposed to be to put line pressure in the right place at the right time. It's important for the life of the trans, which is why you need different linkages for different carbs. I don't remember what all the (moderate gas pedal) shift points are, but I do remember from the last time I set mine that the recommended 1-2 is in the 15 mph range, which mine is. To me, the rest look good.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Chuck, I feel much better after reading your response.
Really the one I am concerned about is the 3 to 4 shift...it seems high.

None the less, I am going to change my intake in the next few weeks and will have to re-assemble and re-adjust. It may be a good excuse to take it to the transmission shop and have them check my adjustments with a pressure gauge.

Based on your response, it sounds like it will be fine the way it is ...at least until I get it to the shop in a few weeks.
From what I read, so long as the TV cable is at maximum travel at WOT and the shifts are not soft and close together, the later shifts should not be a huge concern.

Vic