Car won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Car won't go into gear

I installed the transmission in Barney(my barn find) and it won't go into gear. I put in a long throwout bearing because the scattershield moved the fork back to where it was hitting the floor of the body. Now with engine running, you can shift the transmission into any gear without depressing the clutch and the car will not move(like the transmissionis not even connected to engine). With engine off and transmission in gear, you can not push the car. Any ideas--please!!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You need to use a short throwout bearing, the long one is keeping the pressure plate depressed (disengaged). To use the long or short is determined by the style of pressure plate you have. In addition, you may also have the wrong style fork.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, I'll try a shorter throwout bearing. Thanks, I just love dropping the transmission outta this thing.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Peek inside the bellhousing fork hole and see if the throwout bearing is in fact tightly sandwiched between the fork and pressure plate. I can't see how your fork could be pre-loading the bearing, but check to make sure anyway. I made the same mistake once, using the long bearing where it should have been the short. Oops!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OOPs is right. The clutch fork is tighter than ****'s hatband. Don't know why I didn't see that when it went togather. Gettin' old I guess.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You did put the fork onto the bearing correctly, as shown in the video? That can be another oops!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did catch that oops (i'm so proud of myself). I checked the video and I did have it on wrong when I put it togather the first time. Ain't the internet swell ?!?!?!?!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, Mr. 69, you were right. I dropped the transmission and replaced the throwout bearing with a shorter one and now it shifts in and out of gear. Had to modify the floorboard with a shop hammer so the fork would clear but it worked. Now just gotta bleed the brakes (sounds easy, right?)and see if it will make it down the road and back to the garage. By the way, I installed a new alternator (with intergrated regulator and IT WORKS !!!!!! I assume it works (no lite or gauge) 'cause while the car was running, I diconnected the battery and it kept on running. Assuming that's how a Mallory ignition works. (it is, isn't it?) Any way, thanks for all the information. I feel like you need to send me a bill. I'm sure I'll have a lot more question. Riley

Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Use a multimeter and measure charging voltage across battery posts.
At a min, should be 13.8 volts, no accessories on, other than ignition.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear member

they also have adjustable pivot ball i used one to stop the fork from hitting the floor on mine

Quick Reply: Car won't go into gear