Disc Brake Conversion - Need Help with Spring Removal

Old 06-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Default Disc Brake Conversion - Need Help with Spring Removal

If this is out there I apologize in advance, I searched and could not find any pictures or DIY help. I bought The Right Stuff drum to disc brake conversion kit. I'm at the point where I need to remove the spindle and the instructions are saying to remove the coil spring.

I admit, I'm quite a bit nervous about working with the spring but I rented the Powerbuilt coil spring compressor tool from Advance Auto. I'm having trouble getting the tool in the bottom of the control arm. After researching it sounds like I need to unscrew the arms from the rod, enter the rod and then screw them back on once inside the coil spring.

I've had a few old mechanics tell me there's a way to remove the spindle without removing the spring. Is this true? If so, is there a DIY on spindle replacement or spring removal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Only way I can think of removing the spindle without removing the spring, would be to ratchet strap the two controls together, which is HIGHLY unsafe. That strap lets go, and you have a missile.

You can use a jack to put load on the lower control arm while you undo one of the nuts to the spindle and slowly let the jack down to take tension of the spring. This way is a bit more safe and common practice but still better to use a spring compressor. I'm guessing the one you're using looks like this?

Amazon Amazon

You most likely will have to remove the arms and install first. The case should have flip up instructions.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by QwietStorm03
I rented the Powerbuilt coil spring compressor tool from Advance Auto. I'm having trouble getting the tool in the bottom of the control arm. After researching it sounds like I need to unscrew the arms from the rod, enter the rod and then screw them back on once inside the coil spring.
The plan is to compress only the spring. When you're done, you should be able to take the spring out once the ball joints have been separated and the spindle removed. Don't forget to use a safety chain. Those springs have enough stored energy to kill or maim you if they jump out.

Originally Posted by QwietStorm03
I've had a few old mechanics tell me there's a way to remove the spindle without removing the spring. Is this true? If so, is there a DIY on spindle replacement or spring removal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not saying that isn't true, but I've never heard of it. There is a way to remove the spring without removing the spindle. Remove the shock. Hold the inside of the lower control arm up with a hydraulic jack, remove the lower control arm bolts from the subframe and then slowly lower the jack. The spring can then come out and you can go about removing and reinstalling the spindles. The spring goes back in the way it came out.

Google search this stuff and look for a video. There's got to be some out there.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Only way I can think of removing the spindle without removing the spring, would be to ratchet strap the two controls together, which is HIGHLY unsafe. That strap lets go, and you have a missile.

You can use a jack to put load on the lower control arm while you undo one of the nuts to the spindle and slowly let the jack down to take tension of the spring. This way is a bit more safe and common practice but still better to use a spring compressor. I'm guessing the one you're using looks like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B0028QGTIG

You most likely will have to remove the arms and install first. The case should have flip up instructions.
That's exactly the one I have. I'll try it tonight by removing the arms and then putting them back on once the rod is in the middle of the spring. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by arocars
The plan is to compress only the spring. When you're done, you should be able to take the spring out once the ball joints have been separated and the spindle removed. Don't forget to use a safety chain. Those springs have enough stored energy to kill or maim you if they jump out.

I'm not saying that isn't true, but I've never heard of it. There is a way to remove the spring without removing the spindle. Remove the shock. Hold the inside of the lower control arm up with a hydraulic jack, remove the lower control arm bolts from the subframe and then slowly lower the jack. The spring can then come out and you can go about removing and reinstalling the spindles. The spring goes back in the way it came out.

Google search this stuff and look for a video. There's got to be some out there.
I've been Google searching and looking for videos for almost a month and can't find any detailed instructions.