Alignment issues on my '69

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Default Alignment issues on my '69

I have a '69 Camaro that I put 17" tires/wheels on. I've done a ton of work to the suspension and steering. I've had one problem I've been trying to solve for quite a while. The right tire is shaving the outside corner off. When I turn left, there is a point where the alignment gets off and I can feel the front tires fighting each other. I've taken it to 4 different alignment shops and all say that everything is within spec. Its almost like the guys doing alignment don't understand the geometry of these cars and can only align based on what the computer says.

My question. Did the original 14" tires allow for enough give where the 17" tires don't give and expose the overall design gap for a 1969 engineered car?

The car has not been in a wreck that I know of and have had it for 30 yrs. The wheels are centered decent in the wheel well. The upper a-arms do not have a ton of spacers which would indicate the main cross member does not have issues. The a-arm bushings and ball joints are new. All the steering linkage is new including the drag link and pitman arm. The spindles look to be good without any noticeable difference from right to left. I've even changed the stub frame bushings thinking the frame could be slightly off. I've had someone follow me to see if the car "dog-walks" and it drives nice and straight. The 17" tires do have a tendency to grab ruts. The other tire wear looks OK but I don't put a bunch of miles on the old girl.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear member

When you replaced suspension parts, did you happen to replace the uppder control arm shaft?

I know I can remember having my car done and the guy told me he recommends getting a shaft that is offset to give the Camaro's more adjustability I believe in the camber (don't quote me on that, it was either camber or caster).

You can get them through Summit or places like that.

If you want to do more research, go over to Team Camaro and post this question.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro
When you replaced suspension parts, did you happen to replace the uppder control arm shaft?

I know I can remember having my car done and the guy told me he recommends getting a shaft that is offset to give the Camaro's more adjustability I believe in the camber (don't quote me on that, it was either camber or caster).

You can get them through Summit or places like that.

If you want to do more research, go over to Team Camaro and post this question.
Offset control arm shafts will allow you to add more Caster.

Back to the original question - what is your Toe-in setting??
It should be 1/16" or less.