68 Camaro Front Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 68 Camaro Front Suspension Upgrade

I'm planning to upgrade my 68 with tubular upper and lower control arms... (thinking about Speedtech), also will use coil overs from QA1. Does anyone have comments on this combination with respect to performance and quality. The goal is to improve handling over the stock configuration and lower the front about 1/2 to 1 inch. The car is used for weekend cruising and occasionally at the strip. already have Wilwood disks and Hotchkis front antisway installed. I do not plan to make any other changes to the front clip/subframe.

Thoughts will be appreciated.. I'm sure a number of forum members have done something similar.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Reads like a good combo.
I suggest you add Moroso solid subframe bushings.
You can change one side at a time, only need an 1/8 inch clearance for removal/install.
Keep the opposite side bolts tight when changing bushings so front end does not move.
Smear antiseize onto the bolt threads, you'll like it later in life, the antiseize on the threads I'm speaking of.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks. Had not thought of changing the bushings. Do you think body panels and doors will need realignment if I change the bushings? The current bushings may not be original, but they look old and fairly squashed. The car also has Hotckis subframe connectors and rear antisway installed as well.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Should not require re-alignment.
I've done three Camaro's by doing one side at a time, jack up n the rocker panel just enough to provide clearance and bolt together.
Never had a problem with the alignment.
Use antiseize on the threads, you'll appreciate it later in life.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM

I would recommend you take a look at Ridetech. IMO they offer a more complete package. They built the 48 hour Camaro and it has proven to be a real competitor.

Ridetech - 48 Hour Camaro - Project Site

Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...

I went with the Speedtech upper and lower control arms and the Viking double adjustable coil overs.. Viking is a company that is apparently staffed by former QA1 management. guarantee and performance are expected to the same are better according to Speedtech.. I guess we will see how it goes, but so far I like the setup. I already had a Hotchkis front antisway bar on the car so it is basically done. Also the front is now lowered about an inch. Plan to play with the shock adjustment and find the optimum.. Double adjustable shocks have a dizzying number of options as you fine tune... will start with their recommended performance settings and go from there. It has been raining in Houston the past couple of weeks so have not had much chance to drive and test the car.

Still thinking about replacing the body bushings...