Real L30/M20 (sleeper package) 1967 RS/SS 4 speed Camaro. Loaded with factory options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:18 AM
Default Real L30/M20 (sleeper package) 1967 RS/SS 4 speed Camaro. Loaded with factory options

She's rough but when and where can you find another?

This Camaro had been sitting up on wheels since the mid 80's. As you will see, it will require a full restoration. Make no mistake about it. This is a big project but one that is worth the investment.

What is the L30/20 option and how do you confirm if your car came with this package?

"The L30/M20 Camaro was a "sleeper" package with no tell-tale external badging. To the undiscerning eye, the L30/M20 is just another plain-jane 327 Camaro. Without original paper documentation, the only way to verify an original L30/M20 is to check as many of the drivetrain components and performance features as possible.

For mid-year and later 1967 Camaros, the presence of the 4P cowl tag code in combination with the 2L 4-four speed code can indicate a possible L30/M20. This code is a mandatory requirement for the later 1967 L30/M20 and is described in more detail in the 4P code section. The 2L 4P combination was also used on the SS-350, so other confirming features are required.
One feature that can help identify a L30/M20 versus an SS is the speedometer cable routing. The L30/M20 had the speedometer cable exit on the left side of the steering column. Only Muncie tranmission-equipped cars had the speedometer cable exit the firewall on the right side of the steering column." Per Camaros . org

This car has the speedo cable to the left of the column. Clearly it states within the cowl tag that this car came ordered as an RS/SS but as you will see, there are no discerning remnants of such within both the tail panel, headlight assembly, and external badging. This is due to the L30/M20 "Sleeper" package from GM. The first year for the Camaro was the only year that you could definitively confirm what the car came with via the cowl tag.

Cowl tag break down:

11B E
67-12637 NOR 32758
765-Z Y-2
EL 2LGSR 3BSDL
4FP 5BZY
11B - 2nd week of November
E - Black interior
67 - Year of production
12637 - Sport Coupe custom interior
NOR - Norwood, Ohio
765-Z - Black, custom buckets
Y-2 - Butternut Yellow, Black top.
E - All Tinted Windows - L - Four speed transmission
2LGSR - (L) four speed manual transmission (G) center console (S) rear antenna (R) rear seat speaker
3BSDL - (B) rear defogger (S) RP Z23 option, interior decor (D) gauges and or clock (L) RPO Z22, Rally Sport Equipment
Remote mirrors
Deluxe seat belts
Rear bumper guards
Deluxe shoulder harness

The pro's, you can see exactly what you're getting. Everything you need can be ordered out of a catalog. The first gen Camaros are one of the simplest muscle cars one can build due to their immense popularity. As sure as I am sitting here, I know I will never have another opportunity to own another L30/M20 RS/SS 4 speed car but that is just how life rolls. You have to some times give up some dreams in order to chase others!

I do not have the original engine nor transmission but I do have a 350 I can include that needs completely gone through. I do have a clean & clear title (no liens, non salvage, etc.) for this Camaro. Please feel free to call, text, or email with any questions or concerns.

Asking: 6,500

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Sorry, but the price and condition makes me feel good about my Camaro purchase.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

There is no upside to this car.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Unfortunately I agree, I would like the cowl tag and VIN tag though. That is what is worth the most on the car. It would cost way more to restore then what you could buy one done. It is sad to see that it was left to become the condition it is now in. But back in the 80s it wasn't worth that much so it had been stripped. It may have been on blocks, but it was left outside.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 PM

If nobody buys it and it was mine I would strip every decent part left and sell it. The tags and a clean title, that is what is worth something.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just an FYI the advertisement is a little deceiving.

This car is such a hodge poge of cars there is no way to be sure of anything. The tag clears states RS package the L30 standard transmission order would not over ride this. GM did not build a LM 30 standard transmission car as a factory sleeper. It was a mistake. Marketing offered the 275hp 327 option not realizing it had too much power for the Saginaw 4 speed. By the time order came in it was too late to change. GM engineers said the Saginaw 4 speed will break under warranty but if they made the transmission stronger they would break rears. So GM bit the bullet upfront and gave M20 and the 12 bolt rears for free. This is the same drive line that was in the SS. Hence the name, the poor mans SS. You only paid a couple of hundred dollars for an engine upgrade but you got so much more.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info, very interesting, I learned something new today. I had never heard of a factory sleeper 67 before. The 67 I used to own someone had put a 350 in it. It still had the old heads from the 327 on it, 210 HP. The 4 speed Saginaw took a fair bit of abuse from me, did have it rebuilt once. Still have the drive train from it. A free upgrade to a Muncie and a 12 bolt was a heck if a deal.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here is another fact, the 350 (295 hp) was designed for the 67 SS. On paper it was the most powerful small block GM ever put in a non-Corvette car. I say on paper because the 302 was list at 5 hp less then the SS 350. A stock 302 will dyno closer to 400 Whp. In 1967 the 350 was only available in the Camaro.

Another thing I read above, he said the 4P designation started mid year for the L30/M20, His car is 2nd week November build. Does he think GM was building 1967 Camaros in November of 1967? That is November 1966 ( I am assuming he decoded correctly) . Year end for GM is normally the week of July 4th. They shut down and retool for the next year. I would bet money there were 68's on the lots early September 67. As I stated above the 350 SS came with the M20 also and would have the same speedo cable routing. The headlight and tail light markings are part of the RS package. Heck that IS the RS package. RS package was external comedic upgrades only. Remember ordering a L30/M20 was just a check box for 275 hp 327 with manual transmission.

This is what a L30/M20 RS would have looked like out of the factory. The RS badges would have replaced the 327 badges.
1967 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible RS L30M20
(LOL @ the owners description) "faster then a Z28", could only be said by someone that never drove a DZ302 car)

That is RS/SS car that was striped. Probably because rear quarters. Someone found a base model car and swapped all the good parts and the car has been sitting since.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:09 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 51Chevyman
Thanks for the info, very interesting, I learned something new today. I had never heard of a factory sleeper 67 before. The 67 I used to own someone had put a 350 in it. It still had the old heads from the 327 on it, 210 HP. The 4 speed Saginaw took a fair bit of abuse from me, did have it rebuilt once. Still have the drive train from it. A free upgrade to a Muncie and a 12 bolt was a heck if a deal.
I find it funny what some people call a sleeper. I have heard people say that if you remove the badges off a 4th gen Z28 that will make it a sleeper. In my opinion sleeper would be a car that is insanely fast and no one has a clue. Camaro's, Mustang are Challengers classified as pony cars and at any Friday night street race they are assumed to be not stock and fast until proven other wise. Now if you went to a street race with a young driver and he was in a Fairmont wagon with a 429 with a full exhaust you had a sleeper aka a money maker. If he was smart he always won by a fender.

When it comes to predicting failure rates GM is all about percentages. If there was a 3% failure rate that was a major fail. If you sell 5000 cars that means 150 trans will fail. 150 customers will tell their friends and family there cars are junk. I personally broke 2 Saginaw's in my 300hp 74 Camaro. Both failed at the front bearing and damaged the case. GM refused to put the T5 5 speed trans in any 350 car because of the torque. Many Hot Rodders have them behind built 383 with no prolems. I have seen 2.8's with 125hp break t-5's under warranty. It all a roll of the dice.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM

You rock Gorn, I really like your 67. I believe you are right about gutting it out and putting in a base car. If they would of been smart they would of took the cowl tag and transferred everything over. But that was 30+ years ago, not worth what they are now adays. I am sure it is some guy that went posting this ad all over the camaro forums and will never be back.