my 69 camaro project

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: my 69 camaro project

How much did he quote you, and what does it include, I am about to do the same thing. Where are You located.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Great job, please keep us updated on your progress.
Steve

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well my roof, valance, & left ft fender are toast. Maybe need new floor panels. The car has alot more rust than what we knew what we were looking at. Will know def where we are at after it gets blasted. The guy said we are looking at $6-$7k for the body work and a basic paint job. Will be a little more if I go with ghost flames. Since we are doing the teardownit cuts the cost of the blasting down to $500. The guy was very honest with me about pricing, what to expect, what to get rid of, & what we can salvage. I trust this guy for he has been doing it for years. Is going to give me lots of references to check with and will paint me samples of what I want so I know what I am getting. Also told me that the only way this will work is if we communicate alot and he will take lots of pics for me or let me come it anytime and take pics.

I just got word today that the blaster is available so this weekend we will finish tearing out the interior and dash wires so it can get hauled away. He said we are looking at 3 to 4mo to get it finished which is fine by my timeline.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well guys I worked hard this weekend and got my baby completely nekkid. Found lots more rust hidden away. I think alot of it my body guy wasaware of. Here's a few more pics of the teardown and today she got hauled away.

Name:  nekkid1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  31.5 KB
Name:  nekkid2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  27.3 KB
Name:  nekkid3.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  30.0 KB
Name:  nekkid4.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  31.3 KB
Name:  nekkid5.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  nekkid6.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  55.3 KB

Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds pretty reasonable for both you, considering the car will need little sheetmetal replacement.. If you get into replacing any panels expect it to climb fairly quickly.. It's amazing how much time and effort can go into restoring a car.. Most people don't really realize how involved it can get...

$500.00 to blast sounds reasonable,, It cost me $600.00 to get the one blasted we are working on..
He charged by the hour and that's what it ended up being.. It used to cost around $300.00 to get a shell done but it keeps climbing like everything else..

Keep us updated!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orocker

Well guys I worked hard this weekend and got my baby completely nekkid. Found lots more rust hidden away. I think alot of it my body guy wasaware of. Here's a few more pics of the teardown and today she got hauled away.
just don't be surprised if the price goes up. sometimes the price can go up by almost 50% once they see the car completely torn down and blasted. don't take this as written in stone, but be prepared for unexpected expenses.

definitely want updates as your project progresses

Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

ORIGINAL: orocker

just don't be surprised if the price goes up. sometimes the price can go up by almost 50% once they see the car completely torn down and blasted. don't take this as written in stone, but be prepared for unexpected expenses.

definitely want updates as your project progresses
Well the guy came out to the house to see her in her torndown state and already knows what he has to fix. That's how he based his starting price. I told him the other rust I had found like in the trunk and in the back corners under the seat and he said yea that's tipical. He also said he quoted me high but I'm sure that will change in the long run.

Yea AutoRod that's about what it's going to cost me to have it blasted since we tore it down.

It just sucks that the PO I got her from did alot of work to her like new floor pans. That's why he wanted $8k for her and for all he put into her....but the idiot didn't take care of her and let her get rained in for a long time.Sowe have to replace most all of the work that he did.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That's frustrating,, I always hate it when you have to re-do someone elses work.. but that's just how things go..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

so I finally got to go and visit my car yesterday to see the results from the blasting. Discovered that the floor pans are ok so that is a plus. Found that she has alot of bondo on her. The doors, rear end and quarter panels. Part of the cowl will have to be replaced, I don't think we can salvage the roof, and the trunk looks like swiss cheese.And whoever did the work around the window and other areas did crappy
job.

Name:  blasted-1.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  37.2 KB
Name:  blasted6-1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  28.8 KB
Name:  blasted4-1.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  22.7 KB
Name:  blasted5-1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  18.5 KB
Name:  blasted2-1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Wow. Its going right along. What method was used for getting all the paint off?

Quick Reply: my 69 camaro project