1st Gen interior door panels (Black)

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear member
Default 1st Gen interior door panels (Black)

Does anyone know the best way to get the interior door panel color back to an even black? I was thinking about some black liquid shoe polish.

Thoughts or suggestions? I'd like to have the door panels in within 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Dye or vinyl paint, shop polish will wear off on you. Check out the Interior Repair section
www.Eastwoodco.Com .

Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I didn't even know they made such an item! Looks like the way to go!
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Or go to AutoZone and take a stroll down the paint aisle. They sell interior vinyl dye/paint there. Used it, works fine.
It's made by Rust-Oleum, so you won't have to worry about the vinyl rusting either.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Or go to AutoZone and take a stroll down the paint aisle. They sell interior vinyl dye/paint there. Used it, works fine.
It's made by Rust-Oleum, so you won't have to worry about the vinyl rusting either.
Will it stop the rust that's already there?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Will it stop the rust that's already there?
No it will not help with existing rust. I can sell you a vinyl rust remover. It comes in an unmaked container. If it does not work you can return the product.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't believe Gorn for a second StoveBolts, he's trying to sell you a snake-oil potion that market tests have proven to be ineffective. Everyone knows, or should know, that once rust starts to eat away at your vinyl interior, there's no stopping it. The big vinyl rust epidemic of the late 1960's/early 70's is part of what helped grow the naugahide market to be so huge, practically overnight. The nauga hides are 99.9% rust resistant, and it has to do with the natural habitat of where the nauga lived, which was constantly damp. Because of that, their hides developed a natural resistance to rust. Unfortunately, because of the loose poaching laws, the poor nauga had slipped into complete extinction by the late 1970's. Luckily for you though, I bought out a warehouse full of nauga hides, and can offer some to you for a very reasonable price of $112 sq. ft. Let me know if you're interested, and we can make a secure transaction via Western Union.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Well 69, I believe we have a misunderstanding here. Gorn's product isn't ineffective, it's just that it was never intended for vinyl. It's like having the right tool for the right job.

The thing about snake oil, it's best used on snake hides, which means it may work relatively well with nauga hide since they are relative to each other, but I seem to recall the controversy with nauga hides being exported from south east Africa and all. Over all though, who wouldn't want naugahide over vinyl and for a mere $112 per sq ft that sounds like a pretty good deal!

My delima though, is that I can get fine Corinthian leather for about the same price. If I decide to get the naugahide, can I just post my creditcard information and shipping info in this thread? It would be so much easier that way since I don't know where a Western Union is located.

What a great bunch of fellows!

Last edited by StoveBolts; 01-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well StoveBolts, I see you've obviously bought into the power of big television advertising; "if Ricardo Montalban says it's great, then it must be". Truth is, that Corinthian leather isn't all it's cracked up to be. And speaking of cracks, that's exactly what happens to the surface in less than a year. That marketing ploy "Fine Corinthian Leather" was used to purposely make consumers assume it came from Corinth, Greece, which as we all know is one of the finest places in the world to harvest leather from. Nothing could be further from the truth though, sorry but "honest" Ricardo deceived you. Truth is, the Corinthian leather comes from a small unknown region of Italy. And again, as we all know, those darn Italians are very tough skinned. Sure, that leather may feel soft and supple at first, but just as soon as you get comfortable with it, the stuff quickly turns hard and inflexible. Man, does that sound familiar, or what? If you decide you want to get the better stuff, just let me know. If it makes a difference, I can offer you a healthy 1% discount if you act today. Posting your credit card info here will work just fine too. No worries, it's just us in here.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Hmmm... could you just roll your tongue a bit when you say Nau ga? Hmmmm Yes, fine African Naugahide... I kind of like the ring to that :-)

Would you throw in a can of Gorn's snake oil too?

Say, can I get your SSN and DOB just so I can validate your credentials before I order? With all these internet scams, I'm sure you understand my caution ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Gen interior door panels (Black)