Are you guys like me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats a nice engine bay. I would love to pull the engine and paint the under hood and make it cleaner, still might but not for awhile.lol

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

406 that is sweet for sure. Yes, fresh & clean is the ticket. I think I'm going to just pull the motor this weekend. It will be easier to take it apart and just do a quickie on it. Might as well. And I can clean up some areas like you did. Plus I might as well do the tranny swap (did I already say that?) Anyway. I think I can do a better, quicker job "out" of the car.
Let's see if I can get it done for the first Good Guys show in like 3 weeks. Lol

Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks guys i wish i had painted too under the hood, ceramic headers but i plan for some nice cast aluminum valve covers an some other chrome goodies ,for now most of those things are luxurys ,yes i go to a few small local shows i had best modified last year was like $80.00 an a ribbon ,few years earler i had best stock original ribbon same car well an 95 look ,people tell me i should go to more car shows ,i am more into the race track as a spectator. we have the mods every weekend all spring summer an fall sat nights ,for now to easy to break the rear still for now ,right now still to cold for anything starting march out was 50 monday then 20 this sat crazy weather .spring will, break soon,though keep us updated there mike j67

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

For sure guys. I just bought an engine hoist the other day and assembled it last night. So I'm getting ready to pull this motor to do a freshen up on it. Hope to have it back in the car in no time. This will also be the time to clean & paint the sub-frame. I have new poly bushings for the front of the car. With the motor out, I'll have no excuse not to clean & paint the engine compartment and sub-frame. The tubular control arms & big brakes will have to wait until this is all back together. I need bigger wheels for the brake kit. I planned on just running 17s but now after looking at pages after pages of wheels & cars, I guess I'm going at least 18s if not 20s in the rear.
My last build was an S-10 Blazer 2 wd with a 4.3 V-6 and a 5 speed. Dropped it 4" and then put some 20s on it and it sat even "higher" than when I started. Lol.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulled the motor and had it mic'd by a local machine shop. Sloppy cylinders. PO must have just honed the warn motor and installed the new (cheap) $350 rebuild kit. All parts are "new" but not working due to the cylinder size.
Having machine shop go thru the whole motor. Bore it .030 over, align hone, deck the block all so I can have a good starting point. He's going to just polish my crank and then I'll need new pistons. I'm thinking .030 over flat tops with my 64cc dbl hump heads should be in the 9.75 range (shop says could be 10.0+ depending on prior block work) so that should be a good starting point. All new bearings. I need to order a cam kit, now's the time for another new oil pump (I'll go Melling HV) and then some gaskets. I've already got a gear drive set up as well as the intake, exhaust, water pump, etc. - of course new hoses (again) and belts.
Shop says it should easily be in the 360-380 range (which is good enough for me) and then my T350 swap and new rear end.
Well, the wife also said last week it needs bigger tires. I showed her a set of 275s and she said "is that it? That's all that's going to fit?" So looks like a mini tub setup is coming my way. =)
I need to find another job. j/k. Time to drop a few dimes on this project AND have it ready for the next Good Guys run out by me which is in June? YIKES!!!

Old 04-14-2017, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Dang it.
Well, got the motor back the other night. Sweet machine work by this shop. New Hyper flat tops with 2 moderate valve cut outs. Just ordered the cam kit, gaskets, new bearings, oil pump and freeze plugs. Excited to get started on this thing. Running out of time for the next Good Guys Show.

The wife asked for a "quick" budget so I put a few things together (on the high side for once) and came up with a number around $6500 - (not including her paint or the mini tubs now) and she laughed. WTH? I've got a little "car fund" envelope I can use for a couple grand (the rear end build actually) and over the past week of storms I found that my spare bedroom carpet is WET. OH NO! So I drug out the steam cleaner and got it all cleaned up. Then is stormed another 2 days and yep ... WET AGAIN. Well, I've got an outside water heater in a closet outside the bedroom. It must be leaking somewhere. I've already been up in the attic for another leak I had that I've fixed, but just making sure before I do the sheetrock work inside.

Sooooooooooo looks like the car is going to go together with what I've got already. I can always do the tubs once the new tires wear down but that's okay. 275s on the rear should be okay for now.

This always seems to happen. Oh well. It will still be a very nice car. I plan on building a '68 and a '69 also and can always dump money into either one. The '68 can be my son's car, but the '69 will be all mine.