What Type Distributor is this

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What Type Distributor is this

Can anyone tell me what type distributor this may be?

As per my pictures, it has an MSD module to Coil

Old 09-15-2018, 07:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Reason I'm asking, I'm have a misfire under load and trying to figure out what parts I may need.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Looks like someone bought a complete MSD kit, pretty sure that's the pro billet MSD dist. There are trouble shooting videos out there like this one. https://www.holley.com/support/troub...ng_techniques/

Have you checked your spark plugs and wires to be sure there's no issue there?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats what I thought on complete MSD system, but after searching for markings on Dist, didn't see any. I did find on RicksCamaro site a coil and Dist that looks just like it, it says its for 1955 to 1957 sbc. Not sure if that would crate an issue. I did order some spark plugs for it as well. The wires on there look fairly new, are Megafire 250, not sure what brand those are. The motor is out if an 84 Chevy truck, 350 4 bolt main. Trying to figure what wires to go with.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

If it were me I'd just stick a stock GM HEI in there, they are damn near bullet proof. Unless you have a really radical motor they'll do just fine.
That's assuming you find it's a problem with the ignition other than a bad wire or fouled plug.
Is this a carbed engine? What are you working on, does it have headers? I've seen new plug wires that still look great but were burned on the headers where you can't see it
You sure it's an ignition issue and not a fuel issue?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Its a carb engine, at idle its smooth, just crusin and stepping on the gas, it has a misfire and even when I down shift you hear it baffling like something is breaking down. I've seen a distributor cap cause this as well. This is why I'm thinking its ignition issue. Dont see anything by eye with the distributor. Its a 350, 30 over, with a thumper cam, not too radical. Also thinking of getting MSD performance wires, any thoughts on wires?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Just how long since it had a tune up.? thats what probably needs.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I pulled the plugs and know I'm replacing them. After more reseach on the distributor, appears that it could be just a regular GM HEI small body distributor. Was trying to locate a cap and rotor for this, it doesn't have a screw on rotor, a push on/ pull off type rotor. Also looking for a set of good performance wires that route behind the valve covers along the lower covers above the headers on rails. Anyone have any ideas on wires?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

With this picture you can see how the wires run on the drivers side.
mp

Old 09-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A GM HEI distributor is a larger diameter, has the coil mounted on top of the cap, and would also have a vacuum advance. Yours has neither, it's an aftermarket. Having no vacuum advance could very possibly the cause of your performance issues.

Quick Reply: What Type Distributor is this